Best way for nitrates

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I use Hanna ulr phosphate, hr and lr nitrate, calc, ph, alk, and waiting on reagents to be more available and will get the mag checker
Forget dosing- Feed as mentioned

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates coming from the protein in the food id bet, really the skimmer should be on top of phosphates and nitrtes should be coming from ammonia production within the tank (fish poop)

Skimmers doesn't do much for phosphate. Also, protein is nitrogen based.

GobyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had heard that skimmers were good for phosphates, huh. thanks!

OP
OP
C

Cpc83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
0   1   1
you are using a skimmer, phos remover and new floss ever 2 days because phosphates reaching what number? do the corals look like they're suffering from lack of nutrition?

I have a 30g, (4.5 fish, 1.5 shrimp and 30ish snails) with just matrix, floss that goes abt a week before rinsed and put back in and a skimmer with phosphates staying around 16-22 ppb or .05ppm
Corals in tank no don't show signs of any issues I've struggled with this tank not having algea issues. So I got small foxface and handful of emerald crabs and blacked out tank a few months ago ran gfo in a reactor and got phosphates down below .1 got rid of some fish that looked cool but didn't serve a purpose in tank. Switched from pellets and reef chili to frozen and plankton. Swapped salts kinda did a reboot. If I don't dose np pro and swap filter floss out phosphates rise. I haven't gotten nitrates on a reading in 4 months and been riding the line thinking any day now dinos will hit. I don't run gfo in a reactor I run passively in media bag in one of the media racks.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one issue I've seen happen to many times with nano tanks dosing nitrates or phosphates is one little miss calc and bam you have major changes
If math is not your thing, you have a point :)

OP
OP
C

Cpc83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
0   1   1
you are using a skimmer, phos remover and new floss ever 2 days because phosphates reaching what number? do the corals look like they're suffering from lack of nutrition?

I have a 30g, (4.5 fish, 1.5 shrimp and 30ish snails) with just matrix, floss that goes abt a week before rinsed and put back in and a skimmer with phosphates staying around 16-22 ppb or .05ppm
Could it be my Marco Rock leaching phosphates out

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be my Marco Rock leaching phosphates out

Yes, the main sources of phosphate are rocks, food (eaten or not), and untreated tap water.

Foods can add 0.05 to 0.3 ppm of phosphate per day, so don't minimize that source.

OP
OP
C

Cpc83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
0   1   1
Yes, the main sources of phosphate are rocks, food (eaten or not), and untreated tap water.

Foods can add 0.05 to 0.3 ppm of phosphate per day, so don't minimize that source.

What is the best way to purge the rocks of phosphates? Phosphate rx? Run heavy gfo for a couple weeks?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best way to purge the rocks of phosphates? Phosphate rx? Run heavy gfo for a couple weeks?

All methods of continuous removal work (growing macroalgae or microalgae, GFO, aluminum oxide, lanthanum, etc.), but cheapest and fastest is lanthanum. Best may depend on your budget. I'd pick GFO over lanthanum if cost is not a major driver and the level is sub 0.5 ppm.

OP
OP
C

Cpc83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
0   1   1
All methods of continuous removal work (growing macroalgae or microalgae, GFO, aluminum oxide, lanthanum, etc.), but cheapest and fastest is lanthanum. Best may depend on your budget. I'd pick GFO over lanthanum if cost is not a major driver and the level is sub 0.5 ppm.
Levels are under .5 . I get them down to about .06 they and within 24hrs back to .12-.18. I run small amount of gfo atm in bag its not in a reactor but have been considering run a reactor for a few days till the release is done. Atm I dose nitraphos minus from aquaforest and run about 100ml of gfo in media bag.

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Levels are under .5 . I get them down to about .06 they and within 24hrs back to .12-.18. I run small amount of gfo atm in bag its not in a reactor but have been considering run a reactor for a few days till the release is done. Atm I dose nitraphos minus from aquaforest and run about 100ml of gfo in media bag.
Brightwell phosphate remover will tank phosphates to 0. I was reading that skimmers remove phosphate and nitrate. They remove the skim before it forms into both those compounds. Randy Homes is smart listen to him he’s written studies and been in the hobby for years. I don’t really chase phosphate #. Just keep it low enough

OP
OP
C

Cpc83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
0   1   1
Ok here is what I've found in my tank. I quit carbon dosing a few days after I dosed one time neonitro to tank.
Day 1 nitrate 3.1 phos .08
Day2 nitrate 5 phos .15
Day 3 nitrate 5.8 phos .23
Day 4 nitrate 7.2 phos .37
Day 5 nitrate 10.2 phos .6
Day 6 nitrate 10.1 phos .83

Day 3 I replaced gfo but to watch it keep rising and rising made me cringe. Day 7 I added my carbon dosing back and in 3 days nitrate are back 0.0 and phosphates .1. I fine with dosing neonitro to tank to add nitrogen I completely understand that part. I also get carbon dosing reduces ph which can cause alk to drop a little bit. My salt is not a high alk salt it mixes 8.1-8.4 alk. My ph is 7.8 alk is 7.9. Would dosing a sodium carbonate help with this? @Randy Holmes-Farley . I know it's not a co2 issue in house my windows and doors are open most of the day.

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here is what I've found in my tank. I quit carbon dosing a few days after I dosed one time neonitro to tank.
Day2 nitrate 5 phos .15

Day 3 I replaced gfo but to watch it keep rising and rising made me cringe. Day 7 I added my carbon dosing back and in 3 days nitrate are back 0.0 and phosphates .1. I fine with dosing neonitro to tank to add nitrogen I completely understand that part. I also get carbon dosing reduces ph which can cause alk to drop a little bit. My salt is not a high alk salt it mixes 8.1-8.4 alk. My ph is 7.8 alk is 7.9. Would dosing a sodium carbonate help with this? @Randy Holmes-Farley . I know it's not a co2 issue in house my windows and doors are open most of the
It usually is all about O2. Carbon reduces O2. When you add kalkwasser it increase oxygen because it’s O3 or 3 oxygens attached to a hydorxide. CO2 scrubber reduces CO2 adds more air increasing O2.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It usually is all about O2. Carbon reduces O2. When you add kalkwasser it increase oxygen because it’s O3 or 3 oxygens attached to a hydorxide. CO2 scrubber reduces CO2 adds more air increasing O2.

FWIW, kalkwasser and other hydroxide additives deplete CO2 by this process:

OH- + CO2 —> HCO3- (bicarbonate)

Kalkwasser has no impact on O2.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day2 nitrate 5 phos .15

Day 3 I replaced gfo but to watch it keep rising and rising made me cringe. Day 7 I added my carbon dosing back and in 3 days nitrate are back 0.0 and phosphates .1. I fine with dosing neonitro to tank to add nitrogen I completely understand that part. I also get carbon dosing reduces ph which can cause alk to drop a little bit. My salt is not a high alk salt it mixes 8.1-8.4 alk. My ph is 7.8 alk is 7.9. Would dosing a sodium carbonate help with this? @Randy Holmes-Farley . I know it's not a co2 issue in house my windows and doors are open most of the day.

What exactly are you dosing? That phosphate change is larger than I would expect.

OP
OP
C

Cpc83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
0   1   1
What exactly are you dosing? That phosphate change is larger than I would expect.
I dose aquaforest np pro. As stated before I run gfo due to what I believe is phosphate leaching from Marco rocks. I feed about 1/2 cube of emerald feast and 12-15 aquaforest pellets. Pellets at night and the frozen I put in a cup and walk by tank stop and feed if they eat the whole pipet I give another till there is just a few scraps left in the column and then I can watch the hermits eat those. My dosage is on np pro is 3 drops and 3 drops of probio s. I run 125ml of GFO in a bag not a reactor.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose aquaforest np pro. As stated before I run gfo due to what I believe is phosphate leaching from Marco rocks. I feed about 1/2 cube of emerald feast and 12-15 aquaforest pellets. Pellets at night and the frozen I put in a cup and walk by tank stop and feed if they eat the whole pipet I give another till there is just a few scraps left in the column and then I can watch the hermits eat those. My dosage is on np pro is 3 drops and 3 drops of probio s. I run 125ml of GFO in a bag not a reactor.

Did you change the GFO on day 7? It’s the day 7+ drop in phosphate that I am skeptical as coming from carbon dosing.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
a lot of chemicals that your running imo.

Bought some neonitro today dosed what it said will bring it up to 3 I registered 2 will check again tomorrow
I was following to see how neonitro works because i'm around 0- 2ppm no3 and i was recommended this product.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back