Best way for nitrates

Cpc83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
0   1   1
What's the best way to get nitrates off 0.0 without dosing nitrates. I thought pellet food usually added phosphates and frozen tended to bump nitrates I've been trying to get nitrates off 0.0 but only thing happening is phosphates getting out range I want them in.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your tank size and current fish stock? There are a variety of natural methods which also include less export.

OP
OP
C

Cpc83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
0   1   1
What is your tank size and current fish stock? There are a variety of natural methods which also include less export.
30 gallon setting it up for a sps tank. I run zeomix,life biofil, phosphate minus,carbon, probiotic salt, pro bio s, np pro, pair of clowns and I've had for over a year in tank, I rotate in a foxface( buy it small use it till its about 4-5 in trade it) two conchs, 5 Nass, 1 trochus, 5 hermits, run small skimmer filter fleece changed every 2 days( any longer phosphates rise). Feed frozen daily amount varies I feed every time I walk by tank and fish come to front corner and feed till they don't eat anymore, dose brightwells for the few LPS in tank 3x a week

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm limited on fish only a few fall into fitting in tank. Adding a sixline and yellow corris this weekend
I would stop carbon dosing. My carbon dosing brought my nitrates to almost 0. I have a 20 gallon with oversize skimmer and UV thats it. Aquamax 1.5 hobb works amazing. Dropped my nitrates from 25 to 5 in a week and stayed at 5ppm where I want. Also carbon dosing lowers PH. 8.4 PH is where corals grow fastest and High alkalinity aroun 10-11 increases growth rate and also feeding on top can increase growth by 25%. Carbon dosing brought my PH to 7.6.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 gallon setting it up for a sps tank. I run zeomix,life biofil, phosphate minus,carbon, probiotic salt, pro bio s, np pro, pair of clowns and I've had for over a year in tank, I rotate in a foxface( buy it small use it till its about 4-5 in trade it) two conchs, 5 Nass, 1 trochus, 5 hermits, run small skimmer filter fleece changed every 2 days( any longer phosphates rise). Feed frozen daily amount varies I feed every time I walk by tank and fish come to front corner and feed till they don't eat anymore, dose brightwells for the few LPS in tank 3x a week
As others mentioned, couple more fish, skim dry, maybe biweekly water changes. If you dose heterotrophic bacteria that lowers nitrates. I had to double dose neophos and neonitro for months before I got measurable numbers and the tank matured.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's arguable.

i tried it and it didn't work in my tank.... just ended up with more fish, but no more nitrates or phosphates in the tank.
This is good and bad. 0 is bad of course but at least you know your ecosystem is operating with extreme efficiency and your filtration export. It took my tank about a year to really stabilize nitrates and phosphate at predictable levels. Heavy in heavy out is a common method used though.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What's the best way to get nitrates off 0.0 without dosing nitrates. I thought pellet food usually added phosphates and frozen tended to bump nitrates I've been trying to get nitrates off 0.0 but only thing happening is phosphates getting out range I want them in.
Feed = Not Overfeed. If you feed 2 feedings- increase t three
If your fish consume food in 2-3 minutes- add a minute of food

Reduce frequency of water changes

BUT . . . Before making these changes, assure you are not getting false readings .
What test kits are you using ?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the issue with adding what you need rather than indirectly through adding “garbage” to the aquarium?

OP
OP
C

Cpc83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
0   1   1
What is the issue with adding what you need rather than indirectly through adding “garbage” to the aquarium?
The one issue I've seen happen to many times with nano tanks dosing nitrates or phosphates is one little miss calc and bam you have major changes

OP
OP
C

Cpc83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
0   1   1
Feed = Not Overfeed. If you feed 2 feedings- increase t three
If your fish consume food in 2-3 minutes- add a minute of food

Reduce frequency of water changes

BUT . . . Before making these changes, assure you are not getting false readings .
What test kits are you using ?
I use Hanna ulr phosphate, hr and lr nitrate, calc, ph, alk, and waiting on reagents to be more available and will get the mag checker

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Hanna ulr phosphate, hr and lr nitrate, calc, ph, alk, and waiting on reagents to be more available and will get the mag checker
Dosing neonitro or neophos is easy if you need to do it till your tank balances out with maturity.

GobyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates coming from the protein in the food id bet, really the skimmer should be on top of phosphates and nitrtes should be coming from ammonia production within the tank (fish poop)

GobyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are using a skimmer, phos remover and new floss ever 2 days because phosphates reaching what number? do the corals look like they're suffering from lack of nutrition?

I have a 30g, (4.5 fish, 1.5 shrimp and 30ish snails) with just matrix, floss that goes abt a week before rinsed and put back in and a skimmer with phosphates staying around 16-22 ppb or .05ppm

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one issue I've seen happen to many times with nano tanks dosing nitrates or phosphates is one little miss calc and bam you have major changes

Just have to be smart enough to not make a mistake. :)

Other options are no more forgiving. Amino acids and ammonia are good choices, but the same miscalculation will give the same or worse results.

Or just feed more. And more. And more. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back