Best way to attach 3rd gen and 4th gen Radions to Apex

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having some troubles here.. i have six 3rd gens.. working great. Have a new 4th gen that just replaced a defective 4th gen. all are xr 30 pros. Side note. Great customer service and replacement done in two days by company on bad 4th gen unit. back to question.. so added on the newer 4th gen .. programming all messed up.. We understand the programming is different for the 3rd v the 4th gen.. the 4th gen radions added more color option with the inclusion of warm while leds. so this is issue.
one of the 3rd gen had the programming in the fusion for a 4th gen.. in other words a warm white slider option when there was no warm white led. The 4th gen had the 3rd gen programming. So I have now deleted all the radions on my system in the fusion. I am about to reconnect. When I say attach below I am using the language in the fusion VXM module drop down menu.

Question : what is the best way to "attach" radions when they are a mix of 3rd and 4th gen.
Question: What is the best way to "attach" multiple radions.

My thought is to detach all power to all units.
One at a time attach power and hit "attach" in the drop down menu.
Starting with the 3rd Gen units first. Last would be the newest 4th Gen.
Confirm it is now showing in the VXM module.
Repeat this for each one.

Or do we simply plug them all in and attach them all.

Thanks

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hook up your Radion by USB cable, and start by doing the firmware update with the ecco smart live connection manager software, and reset the lights. Then go into your WXM module, configure, and attach... Should do the trick... Gen3 and Gen4 should work the same way...

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen Shot 2018-06-16 at 9.36.16 PM.png

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So we should not update through apex fusion vxm model. I mother her words. Updating the unit first in exosmart needs to be done. ? If so why update in apex. Confused. Please explain. Thanks

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry, having hard time understanding you. I was talking about the wxm module for the radions.... The WXM is the module that allows you to control the Radions and Vortechs... You refer to a VXM above..

Download the EccoTech software in EccoTech live like a showed you in picture, run the Firmware utility and reset the radion. You should have a WXM module if you intend on controlling the Radion, go into the module and then click attach.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so just to be clear.. and not to beat a dead horse.. the proper way to install these units.. is and this is a must.... ( I ATTACHED A SCREEN SHOT BELOW. )

1. Update the software for the radions using the Ecoteck connection manager... Then
2. incorporate them into the fusion.. as follows
3. Do we do a reset in the WXM for the radion.. meaning to do we check the "reset radions" RED CIRCLE #1 HIT RED CIRCLE #3
4. Then check the box for "attach" RED CIRCLE #2 and hit save to upload. SAVE BUTTON #3. ?

RED CIRCLE #4 IS TO UPDATE THE NEPTUNE MODULE NOT THE RADION CORRECT. sorry for caps.. again not to sound stupid.. RF is ? radio frequency?

thanks
WXM Neptune apex.JPG

thank you

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Open the above utility, download the appropriate Connection manager in EccoSmart Live, Connect the Radion(s) to your computer via USB. Run the file, Do the Firmware Update, then open the WXM Module and Click ATTACH CheckBox ands send in to Apex...

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to right click on the Ecco smart live utility.
You can find that utility once you run it in your windows system tray:
f8f43620f340dcb339a521a8c0c82cdb.jpg

Then right click on icon:
4b842fa8b2f707fe2ffa45fbc88be8c5.jpg

One of those greyed out fields is what you want.... should bring you to a Firmware update....

Then go to your WXM module and do this:
fc5ca468b54ab5ec6c63b16d70c150d0.png

ff3a959cb1087cc1b41b7e177dd8187c.png

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so fraustrated.. what is going .on.. just went to eco ... installed the connection manager and on my windows 10 based laptop... the screen is so small for the progam i cant read it.. cant be this complicated.. time to call I guess..

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it’s small.... you can decrease your monitors resolution????

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so i grabbed a magnifying glass and can read the grey box.. there is no choice for upgrade firm ware.. looks exactly what you posted.. what are you saying to chose for an update..

ok this is nuts.. i see.. you toggle to usb radion.. then update firmware.. interesting that i could not find one video on this..

anyways.. on a side note how do you get the window to enlarge on a pc screen.. i am literly looking at what would be on a phone.. crazy.. thanks for your help

Last edited:

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the radion plugged into computer via usb???? Then open utility... I just did what your tying to do, I picked up a Gen3 .. very easy doing firmware update from this utility. This basically resets the radion to factory, now you can attach in wxm..,

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks.. they all updated. Really.. really appreciate your help..

last question. can you explain the point of resetting the radions.

Thanks again.. big help... all these years i did not realize my radions were not up to date..

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably wipes out any old settings that are stored in Radion....

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok... so let me update this.. i have 7 radions.. 6 are xr30 3rd gen. . number 7 is 4th gen.. just did a full reset, updated and then attached with neptune apex. Same issue. one of the 3rd gen has sliders for 8 colors.. and the 4th gen that should have 8 color sliders has only 6 like it is thinking it is a 3rd gen..

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok.. for any one having the same problem.. you need to go into the settings > then misc > then "REBOT" the apex.. that fixed my issues..

U

User1

View Badges
Not to hijack the thread but I'm considering picking up a pair of 4th gen radions and would use my Apex to control them. I have a VXM module but do not understand how it connects to the radions. Does the radion come with a cable or am I buying or making something? Any links or information that might help?

Thanks!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back