Best way to beat Cyano bacteria

I beat cyano by...

• Using chemical solutions (please post what you used in the thread)

Votes: 119 34.5%
  • Working on parameters (what kind of balance? Let us know in the thread)

Votes: 61 17.7%
  • I used another solution that worked for me (please tell us about it)

Votes: 26 7.5%
  • Nothing. I let nature do its thing and it went away on its own.

Votes: 139 40.3%

• Total voters

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increase flow, if it’s on the sand bed get some trochus to loosen the sand bed and flow to blow it away.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dealt with Cyano more times that I wished. I no longer panic like I used to.

This was my biggest...almost overnight outbreak... (Few years ago)....too much Coral Feeding Daily (OsterFeast)

BEFORE:
CyanoBeforePhoto.jpg

After:
2015-08-11_WeelAwauCyano.jpg

Notice the Sand bed was sparkly white clean. Cyano on rocks infused with Nutrients. (Old rock too)
Corals didn't mind, and I've learned, don't care about Cyano at all. Thet resist Cyano. Only dead parts of corals get Cyano attached.

What came afterward was way worse!!!! (The photo above looks pretty in comparison)

Since then had the odd outbreak for whatever reason.
Learned to....... Cut back on Feeding Fish to much (only what they will eat).

Stop Aminos if adding. Stop spray coral feeding (Actually should never do that).

Improve flow in tank to get all dead spots. Cut back on RED LIGHTING. Cut back on all lighting for short period of time (if possible).

This works best:

Siphon off Cyano during water changes
(Do not blow off, unless you put filter sock and take our shortly afterwards)

And just Wait till the tank goes thru the Cyano Cycle (while doing all above)

HOWEVER. This does help when I don't have the patience to wait (as willing to pay the $'s) .
I would use Zeovit Cyano Clean (a bacterial that outcompetes the Cyano Bacteria). Plus using Coral Snow as media for the Cyano Clean, works well together (Small outbreaks gone in 2 weeks. Bigger ones take about 1 month).

In a nutshell, I have learned. You don't need to do anything for Cyano outbreaks unless you are fueling the Cyano.
Just wait ad it will go away on it' s own and your tank system goes thru the outbreak.
Yes, you can speed things up (or make it worse too...many ways to make it worse or continue for what feels like forever)

Last edited:

Cathillian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What in your experience has been the best way to beat cyano bacteria in your tank?
So far water changes seem to be to best. Guess I was/ have been over feeding. That is about the only way I can think of that I have been adding nutrients to the water. So after thinking about it I moved my tank from 100 gal to 50 gal. The salt costs got to be too much for me to maintain the quality I needed to keep it at bay. I think I lack the amount of fish to eat all the food I was feeding even though it was a tiny amount (more food getting sucked into the sump than what they could eat before it passed by) so I figured as long as I was only having three fish and doing 40% water changes I’d make the tank smaller so it would cost less for that 40%. It was either that or I drop one pellet in at a time, wait for it to be eaten then drop another pellet. Rinse repeat.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 131 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back