Best way to break Montipora

Utahsaltnoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I bought a Montipora that was growing in a bowl shape and it is thriving in my Aquarium. Unfortunately It’s continuing to grow up though and not outward!

Can I break off the sides and if so what’s the best way to that?

5EB944FD-1929-4F43-A7A2-608DCD8D5E1C.jpeg

Mykawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of flow do you have
I think it will just do it again if there isn’t enough light or the right kind of flow

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some montis, they are thin and can be broken off like potato chips. Newer growth should be easier to break off with your hands. If you want precise cuts or for thicker pieces, bone cutters

OP
OP
Utahsaltnoob

Utahsaltnoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pretty high flow all around my tank and lighting is a pair of Radions. Other plating corals are growing out. This one was a bowl shape when I bought it and is following its original track is why I thought I might be able to break it.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change your flow to more random if it is not already. Flow from one side can make them do that.
The best way to break them is to throw them on the floor :) seriously though, get used to snapping off shelves if you have it in a smaller tank. They grow extremely fast.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I break them all the time, usually by accident but they break very easily with your fingers. Just break off a piece and glue it someplace else but it will probably grow the same way.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I bought a Montipora that was growing in a bowl shape and it is thriving in my Aquarium. Unfortunately It’s continuing to grow up though and not outward!

Can I break off the sides and if so what’s the best way to that?

5EB944FD-1929-4F43-A7A2-608DCD8D5E1C.jpeg

OP- From what I can see in this picture, I dont believe the montipora you have there is M. capricornis. That would explain why it's not whorling out in the typical growth form you are used to seeing, better pics will verify but I believe you might have a M. foliosa? maybe M. hodgsoni?
That would explain the vase like growth form.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I break them all the time, usually by accident but they break very easily with your fingers. Just break off a piece and glue it someplace else but it will probably grow the same way.

Looks like @Paul B holds porcelain crab boxing matches on his to break them off.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back