Best way to catch Emerald Crab?

WallysWorld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to remove my Emerald Crab after he's eaten over $200 of my coral :mad:.

I tried to make a trap using a water bottle. Cut about 2 inches off the top, turned it around and reinserted it in the bottle. Placed a small amount of raw fish in the bottle, then sunk the bottle and placed it near the location where the crab hangs out. No bites over night.

I'll keep trying, but is there a better trap? I've tried to net him but he's too fast and there are too many protected places in the rock work.

Help!

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to say it wouldn’t potentially happen but what makes you think your emerald crab is eating your corals? I have had them in just about all my tanks over the years and have never witnessed that.. They feed mostly on algae and potentially scaveng on dead things. they can aggravate corals by occasionally knocking them over, climbing over them or pick at them during feedings times, mine will also occasionally grab the mantle of my clam but has never really damaged anything.

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had one emerald that munched coral and several who didn't. I was able to reach in and grab it by hand at feeding time. Partly luck and partly just going for it without hesitation.

Don't worry, they don't pinch hard.

islandguy85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had success with this in the past but they rust out after use:

7561efc1befd1ca48ec12a14598a760e.jpg

OP
OP
WallysWorld

WallysWorld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to say it wouldn’t potentially happen but what makes you think your emerald crab is eating your corals? I have had them in just about all my tanks over the years and have never witnessed that.. They feed mostly on algae and potentially scaveng on dead things. they can aggravate corals by occasionally knocking them over, climbing over them or pick at them during feedings times, mine will also occasionally grab the mantle of my clam but has never really damaged anything.

I actually watched him eating my Lord Acan.....

OP
OP
WallysWorld

WallysWorld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two emeralds in my tank. Caught the first using a plastic water bottle trap baited with mysis. Second one is less aggressive and not taking the bait as quickly. Patience!

OP
OP
WallysWorld

WallysWorld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My second crab is still in my tank after removing the really aggressive one ~3 weeks ago. This one is much more timid and well behaved. She molted this weekend and I was able to sex her from the skeleton she left behind. Wondering if maybe the females are better than the males. The one I caught was a male. After molting she's now huge, main body is now about the size of a quarter! Hopefully she remains docile and stays away from things I don't want her to eat!

islandguy85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I felt the same way until a $150 tang wound up dead. Live and learn. Stupid little crab not worth it.

RickyMcG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DADFC0E5-C057-418B-958A-F504D857AE6B.jpeg
I bought an emerald crab to mow down hair algae outbreak in my new tank (was away on vacation). Perfect solution, but once the algae was gone he went after my coral — in spite of my attempts to pacify him with seaweed sheets.

He made a mess of the tank, pulling an acorn frag into the rock work, knocking various corals off the rock, disappearing a brand-new zoa.

It took a lot of patience, but a small jar leaned against the rock work did the trick. Baited it with shrimp for a week or so. Forgot to bait the trap last night, but this morning...success! Guess he just wandered in to see what he could find.

Now I can return to the LFS and put the tank back to rights.

RickyMcG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DADFC0E5-C057-418B-958A-F504D857AE6B.jpeg
I bought an emerald crab to mow down hair algae outbreak in my new tank (was away on vacation). Perfect solution, but once the algae was gone he went after my coral — in spite of my attempts to pacify him with seaweed sheets.

He made a mess of the tank, pulling an acorn frag into the rock work, knocking various corals off the rock, disappearing a brand-new zoa.

It took a lot of patience, but a small jar leaned against the rock work did the trick. Baited it with shrimp for a week or so. Forgot to bait the trap last night, but this morning...success! Guess he just wandered in to see what he could find.

Now I can return to the LFS and put the tank back to rights.

Make that Acan coral (stupid spellcheck)

Ghost463

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats strange!!
Actually i never see my emerald crab. I wonder if it wpuld be easier to rehouse some of the other hebie inverts.

W Haymaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 20 inch tweezers that I put a small piece of nori on. I move it around the rock work till he comes after it. He grabs the tweezers with a death grip and I carefully pull him from the rock. Works good for me. I have a 24 AIO so that makes it easy to find. I keep 2 in the return area and move them back to the display if need be. I'd probably flush them down the toilet but the guilt....

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 125 gallon and 3 of them. One is eating my Zoanthids. I literally sat and watched it while I was eating dinner and jumped up towards the tank and scared him away from my frag rack. I’ve tried a glass, tweezers. I think I’m going to have to take all the rock out and remove the crabs with my hands has anybody ever had to do that? I don’t know what else to do?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back