Best way to cut out acrylic piece that is in the tank?

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back of tank 0A5173C7-82EE-45D6-BA09-0F5D9F968E19.jpeg right side of back close up E4AAE894-1117-4EF3-817C-A29C6D5D1F67.jpeg left side of back close up 66280AA5-CAF1-41AE-B565-D0ECF9676C65.jpeg

I got some better photos of the back of the tank that I’ll share. I realized that I can just remove the bio balls on both sides and put in a protein skimmer on each side where the bio balls currently are without having to cut any acrylic out. Each side of the tank has two compartments filled with bio balls. One compartment on each side for a protein skimmer and the other will be a possible refugium? What are you thoughts?

I think it's best to work with the existing compartments and add/remove media. I think you only need one skimmer, there isn't necessarily a reason to have two unless that's the only way to get the capacity that you need due to size constraints.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I’ve decided to take the bio balls out and put a Tunze 9004 DC on each size in the compartment closest to the middle of the tank and use the other compartment on each side for media or a refugium with chaeto. What do you think?

I have the Tunze 9004 DC on my tank. If you aren't going to be heavily stocked, you very well may get by with one. It skims better than larger skimmers that I have had. The downside is that you'll have to empty the cup every other day.

OP
OP
Mike O

Mike O

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Tunze 9004 DC on my tank. If you aren't going to be heavily stocked, you very well may get by with one. It skims better than larger skimmers that I have had. The downside is that you'll have to empty the cup every other day.
That’s something I’m ok with. I’m planning on doing a mixed reef. It’s my first salt water tank, so I’m planning on starting slow by cycling dry rock for a couple months, then moving into soft corals, then adding some easy LPS. I’ll add fish slow and start with a clean up crew before getting anything for show

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back