Best way to clean acrylic tank?

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the blade is metal I wouldn't use it. Ive done that before and poor outcome...
The normal side should be safe? The other end can be “flipped” to use a plastic “blade”. I think the idea is to clean the surface daily to avoid coralline buildup.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've have been using a toothbrush and its been rough hah. Might use the putty knife to see if that works! Thanks for the recommendations!
A tooth brush? Man, you're a glutton for punishment. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

One of those plastic bladed acrylic scrapers work pretty well. Just a few passes and it gets rid of it. Hold it at like a 45 degree angle or so to the acrylic and you'll be fine. Mr Clean Magic Erasers are awesome too.

OP
OP
jpshoemaker46

jpshoemaker46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tooth brush? Man, you're a glutton for punishment. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

One of those plastic bladed acrylic scrapers work pretty well. Just a few passes and it gets rid of it. Hold it at like a 45 degree angle or so to the acrylic and you'll be fine. Mr Clean Magic Erasers are awesome too.
I did use it for awhile:grinning-face-with-sweat: but now I got a aquascape scraper to help lol! Still use toothbrush from time to time!

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did use it for awhile:grinning-face-with-sweat: but now I got a aquascape scraper to help lol! Still use toothbrush from time to time!
I have one toothbrush that has the bristles cut to fit in corners and another one to clean the neck of my skimmer.
I dont know what I would do if I had to clean the whole tank with one though. :grinning-squinting-face:

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just curious on what is the best way to clean an acrylic tank? Have a lot of hard algae spots, which is hard to scrape off. I was curious on which tools or whatever helps the cleaning process? Thanks reefing fam!
Just carefully you can scratch it. I now use a brush specially for that. I don't want to say with certainty as to scratching but for hard stuff I use a blade for a large exacto knife

Fred A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just curious on what is the best way to clean an acrylic tank? Have a lot of hard algae spots, which is hard to scrape off. I was curious on which tools or whatever helps the cleaning process? Thanks reefing fam!
I've had an acrylic 500 gallon tank for 20 years and it still looks great. Best/easiest way to clean the inside is to use an appropriately sized magnet system, just make sure you get one for ACRYLIC, not glass! Also, for the "hard" stuff, use one of those plastic blades available from numerous sellers. If you SCRATCH the acrylic, there are sand pads from 3M and others that let you buff the scratches out WITHOUT needing to remove fish or water, even when the scratches are way below the waterline. Easy to use, a little time consuming, but safe for fish and they work great. Keep acrylic scratch free by avoiding fish, like puffers, that use their beaks to scratch the acrylic, and make sure you don't scratch with any sand as you do your normal maintenance.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had an acrylic 500 gallon tank for 20 years and it still looks great. Best/easiest way to clean the inside is to use an appropriately sized magnet system, just make sure you get one for ACRYLIC, not glass! Also, for the "hard" stuff, use one of those plastic blades available from numerous sellers. If you SCRATCH the acrylic, there are sand pads from 3M and others that let you buff the scratches out WITHOUT needing to remove fish or water, even when the scratches are way below the waterline. Easy to use, a little time consuming, but safe for fish and they work great. Keep acrylic scratch free by avoiding fish, like puffers, that use their beaks to scratch the acrylic, and make sure you don't scratch with any sand as you do your normal maintenance.
Glad to hear! What algae magnet do you use/recommend? At 500g, I assume your wall thickness is likely at least 1” or wider? I’m looking for a good & reliable magnet for my 3/4” acrylic tank.

victorcan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little update got the canopy built this evening. I think it came out really well. What are you guys think? Was short 1 length of rope molding but I’ll grab it in the am then it’s time to paint!

IMG_1224.jpeg IMG_1223.jpeg IMG_1222.jpeg IMG_1208.jpeg

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 90 gallon acrylic. I use the novus products on the outside and for the inside I use a reef safe plastic bladed scraper, though I do need to vigorously put muscle to it.

victorcan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 220 gallon glass aquarium takes some muscle when I neglect it for a week or more, so I’m curious as to what muscle on an acrylic tank will be like.. The guy I bought the tank from only had it for 5 years and he had glass cages make him an exact copy but outta glass? I’m not too worried seeing the tips here but that’s a lotta $$$ to drop on a new system just to be easier to clean? I guess time will tell but he claims that a shower “luffa” worked best for him.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What size tank? If small then the Continium and Kent wands work well. Magic erasers also work well. If a large tank then I 100% recommend the Mighty Magnet cleaner. My tank has 40' of acrylic to clean and I used everything from scrapers, magic erasers, magnavore(non floating magnets - these suck) cleaners, and even a metal paint scraper. I hated when it came time to cleaning because it would take me minimum of 1.5 hours to clean. I broke down and paid for the mighty magnet and now it takes 5 minutes. I wish I would have bought one from the start.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back