In your opinion, which CUC member does its job best?

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With their being a lot of different members of cuc to choose from we all have our personal favorites. I am wondering which clean up crew member do you think does it's job best? Curious to see what everyone thinks!

zberq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turbo's, pincushion urchin and my sleeper goby for sand, even though I need to blow sand off rock every few days

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
abalone is often overlooked. In my experience they work harder on algae than my snails.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like foxface for algae but nothing beats a Kleine Butterfly for Aiptasia cleaning.

I like the bacteria for a fish tank otherwise clams are great for ammonia but I really have not kept them for very long because my Tomato clown loves them to death.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I have a variety of tangs and a couple of Fox face rabbitfish (I have 3 separate system). The best IMO, is the naso tang. Mine will annihilate anything that even resembles algae of any kind and is just an all around great fish.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like foxface for algae but nothing beats a Kleine Butterfly for Aiptasia cleaning.

I like the bacteria for a fish tank otherwise clams are great for ammonia but I really have not kept them for very long because my Tomato clown loves them to death.
i wish my fox face would do his job lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Always for me has been Astrea snail and just added Margaritas which have thus far been impressive

drolmaeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my tanks, me! And it's not even close. I feel like a lot of my crew (urchin, shrimp, snails, fish) handle one or two clean-up jobs pretty well, but difficult to choose one to rule them all.

machliwala

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With their being a lot of different members of cuc to choose from we all have our personal favorites. I am wondering which clean up crew member do you think does it's job best? Curious to see what everyone thinks!
tiger conches, tuxedo urchins and nassarius snails.

JHSteepat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no luck so far with cuc. I feel they are mostly making things worse. I have an 8 month old tank, fish are healthy (including a useless foxface), corals (lps/sps) growing great, LOTS of hair algae. Cannot keep a snail to save myself (ati tests no copper or other troubling elements and the hermits are just fine). I lost two fighting conchs, most of my nassarius, astreas, ceriths, and the newer mexican turbos are on their way out. Maybe its the hermits (blue legs, but I am not 100% sure), as they seem to be the only survivors.

I have a lot of hair algae that I am thinking it is mostly fueled by dead snails. No more snails…..or maybe I need to send all hermits to the sump….

Suggestions are most welcome!!!

machliwala

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no luck so far with cuc. I feel they are mostly making things worse. I have an 8 month old tank, fish are healthy (including a useless foxface), corals (lps/sps) growing great, LOTS of hair algae. Cannot keep a snail to save myself (ati tests no copper or other troubling elements and the hermits are just fine). I lost two fighting conchs, most of my nassarius, astreas, ceriths, and the newer mexican turbos are on their way out. Maybe its the hermits (blue legs, but I am not 100% sure), as they seem to be the only survivors.

I have a lot of hair algae that I am thinking it is mostly fueled by dead snails. No more snails…..or maybe I need to send all hermits to the sump….

Suggestions are most welcome!!!
The only snails that i have are nassarius (sand bed), tiger conches (sand bed). for the rocks a couple of tuxedo urchins. Reduce nitrades and phosphates and use a toothbrush on the rocks. as your nitrates and phosphates drop, you will notice that the hair algae releases easily from the rocks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back