Best way to clean acrylic tank?

jpshoemaker46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just curious on what is the best way to clean an acrylic tank? Have a lot of hard algae spots, which is hard to scrape off. I was curious on which tools or whatever helps the cleaning process? Thanks reefing fam!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a plastic putty knife, old credit or hotel key cards, and for deeper tanks, without getting wet ;

Continuum Aquatics AquaBlade P - Acrylic Safe Aquarium Scraper w/ Plastic Blade, Long, 24-inches​

I am redoing a tank now and filled it and added muriatic acid, enough to lower pH below 6.0, (I went to 2.0) and the scale will dissolve, or tough scale slides off with the scrapers mentioned above, after lowering the pH.

OP
OP
jpshoemaker46

jpshoemaker46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a plastic putty knife, old credit or hotel key cards, and for deeper tanks, without getting wet ;

Continuum Aquatics AquaBlade P - Acrylic Safe Aquarium Scraper w/ Plastic Blade, Long, 24-inches​

I am redoing a tank now and filled it and added muriatic acid, enough to lower pH below 6.0, (I went to 2.0) and the scale will dissolve, or tough scale slides off with the scrapers mentioned above, after lowering the pH.
I've have been using a toothbrush and its been rough hah. Might use the putty knife to see if that works! Thanks for the recommendations!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've have been using a toothbrush and its been rough hah. Might use the putty knife to see if that works! Thanks for the recommendations!
Forgot to mention Mr Clean Magic erasers. I use generic melamin sponges from eBay because they are a lot cheaper. And of course you are welcome. Always becareful if you are working near the sand. One stray pebble can ruin your day.

OP
OP
jpshoemaker46

jpshoemaker46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention Mr Clean Magic erasers. I use generic melamin sponges from eBay because they are a lot cheaper. And of course you are welcome. Always becareful if you are working near the sand. One stray pebble can ruin your day.
I will keep that in mind thanks a ton!!

victorcan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i Just picked up a 450 gallon acrylic tank and picked up some novus 1-2-3 compound.. I hired a local etailer and he laughed at the Novus brand and said, i have the best stuff around, Perfect it by 3M.. TANK LOOKS GREAT BUT NOW after talking tnother hobbist tha total loss?at warned the 3M might be toxic? I just finished buiklding the stand and am petrified my tank may be a total loss? Anyone with any experience on this? How can I clean it to guarantee the livestock wont die because of it. Please help Im capping myself now

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
i Just picked up a 450 gallon acrylic tank and picked up some novus 1-2-3 compound.. I hired a local etailer and he laughed at the Novus brand and said, i have the best stuff around, Perfect it by 3M.. TANK LOOKS GREAT BUT NOW after talking tnother hobbist tha total loss?at warned the 3M might be toxic? I just finished buiklding the stand and am petrified my tank may be a total loss? Anyone with any experience on this? How can I clean it to guarantee the livestock wont die because of it. Please help Im capping myself now
I have had great luck with NOVUS although labor intense. For coraline, Edge of old credit card or Plastic putty knife works well BUT assure tank is wet

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t risk it, but I will take the tank off of your hands, no charge just to help you out in this situation.

You need to be happy with the beautiful tank and quit worrying about invisible toxins that might somehow be hidden in the seams of your tank. If they were present you would die from them faster than any fish but since you seem to be still alive I would be happy to take that tank out of your life if it would help you sleep better?

the nightmare before christmas laughing GIF
dances GIF

chance the rapper weather GIF by WGN Morning News

victorcan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t risk it, but I will take the tank off of your hands, no charge just to help you out in this situation.

You need to be happy with the beautiful tank and quit worrying about invisible toxins that might somehow be hidden in the seams of your tank. If they were present you would die from them faster than any fish but since you seem to be still alive I would be happy to take that tank out of your life if it would help you sleep better?

the nightmare before christmas laughing GIF
dances GIF

chance the rapper weather GIF by WGN Morning News
lol thanks I guess I’m just nervous I have never had acrylic before, glass is a totally different animal ;) none the less I appreciate you bringing a comedic lighter view of my fear of losing $4k of livestock, I’ll be moving everything from my current 220g system. I was going to wash it out with Vinager and RO water? Any suggestion or precautions I should consider? My stand is almost complete just needs some paint and I can move this into place and make the swap..
Here’s some pics of the project, So psyched have wanted a monster tank for decades :)
IMG_1174.jpeg IMG_1106.jpeg IMG_1107.jpeg IMG_1036.jpeg IMG_1039.jpeg IMG_0990.jpeg IMG_0953.jpeg IMG_0933.jpeg IMG_0977.jpeg

OP
OP
jpshoemaker46

jpshoemaker46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol thanks I guess I’m just nervous I have never had acrylic before, glass is a totally different animal ;) none the less I appreciate you bringing a comedic lighter view of my fear of losing $4k of livestock, I’ll be moving everything from my current 220g system. I was going to wash it out with Vinager and RO water? Any suggestion or precautions I should consider? My stand is almost complete just needs some paint and I can move this into place and make the swap..
Here’s some pics of the project, So psyched have wanted a monster tank for decades :)
IMG_1174.jpeg IMG_1106.jpeg IMG_1107.jpeg IMG_1036.jpeg IMG_1039.jpeg IMG_0990.jpeg IMG_0953.jpeg IMG_0933.jpeg IMG_0977.jpeg
Yo first off that looks awesome and I can’t wait to see the end product and two that should be just fine! Acrylic is pretty easy to clean just needs attention for algae buildup!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%

Back