Best way to get this “for sale” ready?

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the best way to get this tank breakdown cleaned up? Looking for the easiest way possible without creating any sort of toxic fumes that will murder me in my sleep. Can I just add something and let the pump run for a few days? Vinegar? Use RODI? Any help is great, thanks!

IMG_4403.jpeg

Dbartlett727

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve cleaned tanks by using citric acid solution or sicce pump cleaner and running with fresh water and a heater turned up. Use the hose to blast as much off as possible first.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would drain it and scrape off as much material as possible without scratching anything.
Move it outside, then add 2-3 gallons of vinegar and let it run with the pumps going for a couple days. Drain and see how it turned out. Maybe a second round of vinegar might be needed.
Citric acid will work as well.

wmb0003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
RODI is not needed can just use tap water. Citric acid is probably better, but vinegar would be fine and also more readily available.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would drain it and scrape off as much material as possible without scratching anything.
Move it outside, then add 2-3 gallons of vinegar and let it run with the pumps going for a couple days. Drain and see how it turned out. Maybe a second round of vinegar might be needed.
Citric acid will work as well.
I’m thinking vinegar over citric acid, but have no basis for that really. Any pros and cons to either way?

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking vinegar over citric acid, but have no basis for that really. Any pros and cons to either way?
I prefer citric acid over vinegar personally. Iirc it's bit gentler on plastics. Plus it smells a lot better. Easily available with the canning supplies at the grocery store.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer citric acid over vinegar personally. Iirc it's bit gentler on plastics. Plus it smells a lot better. Easily available with the canning supplies at the grocery store.
Any toxic fume issues I need to worry about or prepare for? I’d really just like to dump something in this tank without having to move it, and then drain/scrub after to finish it off

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Either way will work. Vinegar seems to be easier to get, unless you can get citric acid at your local supermarket.
Citric acid is easier to store. Small bag of powder that you add water to, vs larger gallon plastic jugs.
I use citric acid in place of vinegar for cleaning now.

The citric acid was made popular because a specific thread here on R2R that detailed what vinegar seemed to do to with Vortech MP10, 40 and 60"s.
The way the magnet was sealed in plastic and how vinegar seemed to be able to penetrate the plastic seams and cause the neodymium magnet to swell.
People seemed to expand that theory to all pumps now. Haven't seen any evidence to support it though.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Any toxic fume issues I need to worry about or prepare for? I’d really just like to dump something in this tank without having to move it, and then drain/scrub after to finish it off
Are there any zoanthids or palys in the tank?
If not maybe just the smell of vinegar in the house.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any zoanthids or palys in the tank?
If not maybe just the smell of vinegar in the house.
All zoas and palys have been removed. Just sand, lots of GSP, and some red planaria…

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
All zoas and palys have been removed. Just sand, lots of GSP, and some red planaria…
Then just scrape out carefully what you can and use either vinegar or citric acid to do it's thing.
I like to do this kind of cleaning outside if all possible. Mostly because it can get messy, plus I'm not a big fan of the vinegar smell.
Once the tank has had a a couple days to soak ( I'd use a small powerhead in it too), use a sponge, maybe a plastic scraper to clean it.
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponges seem to do great work on cleaning tanks up.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then just scrape out carefully what you can and use either vinegar or citric acid to do it's thing.
I like to do this kind of cleaning outside if all possible. Mostly because it can get messy, plus I'm not a big fan of the vinegar smell.
Once the tank has had a a couple days to soak ( I'd use a small powerhead in it too), use a sponge, maybe a plastic scraper to clean it.
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponges seem to do great work on cleaning tanks up.
Cool. Thanks for your help !

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's small so 5# of citric acid would work. I had 130g so I let it dry and it scraped right off with a new razor blade.
Thinkin im going to drain, bring outside, refill and add citric acid, let it run for a couple days, drain.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to have to scrape it at some point. No acid, not even muriatic will just dissolve green types of algae. If you use enough acid, you can probably dissove most of the coralline, but that can also damage pumps. I use muriatic acid (like citric but stronger) at about the same strength - it will loosen up coralline to where it is soft and easy to scrape. A few rounds of acid makes things even easier.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to have to scrape it at some point. No acid, not even muriatic will just dissolve green types of algae. If you use enough acid, you can probably dissove most of the coralline, but that can also damage pumps. I use muriatic acid (like citric but stronger) at about the same strength - it will loosen up coralline to where it is soft and easy to scrape. A few rounds of acid makes things even easier.
Scraping is fine, just need to loosen up all that GSP off the back wall and other built up growth throughout the rear chambers

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back