Best way to kill pest Zoa/Paly?

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear I had a thread on this already...

Interested in hearing people's successful* methods of killing Zoa and Paly without removing rock nor the zoa/paly from the tank.

Also if you're killing more than a couple of polyps do you find that water changes, carbon, other methods of toxin export are crucial?

If you're killing Zoa/paly adjacent to others do you change your methods?

*successful being things like: Effective in killing off polyps, doesn't result in a huge mess, repeatable etc.

Last edited:

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Step one: figure out if you have a toxic species or not. Most zoas aren't notably toxic. It's generally palys that are the nasty ones. If it's not a toxic species, there's no need for any special precautions.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think "removing from the tank", in this context, means physically taking the coral out of the tank in order to do things to it.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Interested in hearing people's successful* methods of killing Zoa and Paly without removing rock nor the zoa/paly from the tank.

Also if you're killing more than a couple of polyps do you find that water changes, carbon, other methods of toxin export are crucial?

*successful being things like: Effective in killing off polyps, doesn't result in a huge mess, repeatable etc.
Step 1 make up a fancy name for it
Step 2 try selling for a lot of money
It should then die :)

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
put a torch or nem next to them.
i don't get how you're killing them and not removing them?
Unfortunately do t have any of those laying around in my fish junk closet
;Smuggrin
I think "removing from the tank", in this context, means physically taking the coral out of the tank in order to do things to it.

^this is correct. Cannot remove the rock as it's structural and epoxied.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Use hemostats to remove polyps or is that breaking the rules?

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I'm thinking about boiling tap water to keep the chemistry more or less consistent and injecting a couple a day or a few a week.

I'm also considering F aptasia but it's really hard to use on a vertical face.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I'm thinking about boiling tap water to keep the chemistry more or less consistent and injecting a couple a day or a few a week.

I'm also considering F aptasia but it's really hard to use on a vertical face.
You have been doing this long enough. Have you seen this method yet? 1/4" stainless steel stray inside 1/2" hose, you should be able to suck out the polyps without poisoning the water. Works great for me and no chemicals needed.

Attachments

• 20210804_075910[1578].jpg
    20210804_075910[1578].jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 137

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know that you're going to get rid of them that way, though. You can pull 'em off, sure, but the remaining tissue will regrow.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that you're going to get rid of them that way, though. You can pull 'em off, sure, but the remaining tissue will regrow.
It may or may not, it is one way to control them, with the steel straw you may be able to scrape off all the flesh and suck it out.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP, just to clarify: you mean methods that don't involve removing the rock, or whatever else the zoa/paly is on, right? Not methods that somehow kill the corals while leaving them completely in the tank?

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I slapped a torch coral next to mine to control the growth. It does nothing. My torch is a wimp. Only thing I’ve found that keeps them under control growth wise is a ring of vermitids snails I tolerate arpund the colony.

JohnMzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll preface this by saying that I do not keep actual palythoa grandis, just "zoas".

- use a scalpel and thumb forceps to peel them from the rocks. Expect regrowth and repeating the process.
- use concentrated lye solution and a 3 cc needle and syringe. No need to inject just slowly squirt it on the location. A white film/crust will form covering the target. I pause the tank flow for about 10 min. (wear eye protection and keep out of reach of children)

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, just to clarify: you mean methods that don't involve removing the rock, or whatever else the zoa/paly is on, right? Not methods that somehow kill the corals while leaving them completely in the tank?

I want to kill the polyps- without removing the rock from the tank.

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have been doing this long enough. Have you seen this method yet? 1/4" stainless steel stray inside 1/2" hose, you should be able to suck out the polyps without poisoning the water. Works great for me and no chemicals needed.
I like this method. May be pretty high up on my approaches. Will combine this with some sort of chemical treatments after

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you may have figured it out, misspelled straw.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back