Best way to lower Phosphates without lowering Nitrates?

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used phosphate RX when I had 0.90 po4 and dropped it to 0.10 in 3 days
Oh wow! I think I am going to use PHOS - E just to have a bit more controllability and not drop to fast. @DaddyFish recommended this over Phos-RX, although not sure why.

Still would love to hear some more opinions on Phos-E vs Phos RX

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow! I think I am going to use PHOS - E just to have a bit more controllability and not drop to fast. @DaddyFish recommended this over Phos-RX, although not sure why.

You are asking to compare two different brands of likely the same basic chemical (lanthanum). Not sure there is any clear difference that folks can report.

Bear in mind that some folks report fish problems with lanthanum. Usually tangs.

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to hear your suggestion on why this is happening, or what to do right now. I guess I should cut back on Rods food entirely than? I dont feed any pellet or flake food.
If your nitrates are almost 0, dose nitrates to keep them above 1. Then you can dose phosphateRX and drop the phosphates. It says the maximum you can drop them in a day on the bottle and that is a safe dose. I've done it, but I know people that have dropped it 3x as much. My theory is that you can drop them fast, but you get problems when you drop them to 0.

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked into using Phosphate Rx but I was leery of the manufacturer's "easily filtered out" claim regarding the precipitates that will form. I don't have a filter sock or filtration system that would capture the precipitates and wasn't sure how to go about rigging something up. Maybe the precipitates aren't that big of a deal anyway :thinking-face:. I wasn't able to find a solid answer on that question except for it being bad for Tangs.

I would love to hear how it works for you though on your 13 gallon, and would appreciate your feedback. I will probably have to do one more round of phos control to finish balancing my rock.

Yeah, with any lanthium chloride, you will have lanthium in your tank after. The cloudiness will go away though from your skimmer pulling it out.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are asking to compare two different brands of likely the same basic chemical (lanthanum). Not sure there is any clear difference that folks can report.

Bear in mind that some folks report fish problems with lanthanum. Usually tangs.
I had no idea they were the same chemical. Is there another safe way without chemicals to reduce phosphate and not nitrate?

Rams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

I used both and I love phos RX as my corals won’t flinch with change

Crofty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am more so worried about the health of my fish from the lanthium chloride seeing the tank has no filtration/skimmer
Some phosphates data from my 32 gallon tank. May give you some idea what to expect from the two PO4 removal products I've tried. You could always add them and remove them in a shorter time period if you are worried about quick drops.

PhosGuard 100ml bag in media basket, 0.7ppm to 0.5ppm in 24 hours
Chemipure Elite 6.5oz bag in media basket, 0.5ppm to 0.2ppm in 24 hours

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some phosphates data from my 32 gallon tank. May give you some idea what to expect from the two PO4 removal products I've tried. You could always add them and remove them in a shorter time period if you are worried about quick drops.

PhosGuard 100ml bag in media basket, 0.7ppm to 0.5ppm in 24 hours
Chemipure Elite 6.5oz bag in media basket, 0.5ppm to 0.2ppm in 24 hours
thank you! what size tank was that?

Crofty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to buy some phosguard right now! Will any filter sock work with it, or does it need a specific micron? Thanks for the help!
This is the one I used. It comes in its own little bag you can just place in your media basket or other high flow area. No filter sock needed. I think Petco carries a smaller size as well for treating 30 gallons. Just keep in mind that the bags will only absorb a limited amount of PO4 and then they are dead. Depending on how much total PO4 you need to remove, it could take more than 1 over a period of time.

1673710760987.png

1673713500785.png

Last edited:

Crofty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, my corals (soft, LPS and SPS) didn't care about the first 2 phosphate drops in the chart above. But the LPS didn't like the last one, probably cause it got close to bottoming out. They seem fine now and polyps are presenting normally again, but it was a lesson learned...

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, my corals (soft, LPS and SPS) didn't care about the first 2 phosphate drops in the chart above. But the LPS didn't like the last one, probably cause it got close to bottoming out. They seem fine now and polyps are presenting normally again, but it was a lesson learned...
I just going to go as slow as possible over the next 1-2 months. I got a larger container of PhosGuard. I have some filter socks laying around and if needed ill get smaller micron.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping this comes in the mail soon.

I just hit 1.35 on phosphates, and currently bottomed out on nitrates. I am now just feeding mysis shrimp twice a day.

JK75gal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am going to try Phos. E, and I will let you know how it goes!
Hi, I am having the same issue and was looking at Phos-e can you provide some details on how it went for you?
Thank you!

EDIT **I missed a few posts inbetween, did the Phosphate-E work?

Last edited:

sean151

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could definitely do a 50% water change then add some neo nitrate. Phosphate will decrease by 50%
This is not true when you have high phosphate levels. It will be bound to the rocks and other aragonite source and go right back to a similar level within 24 hours. Phosphate requires being processed through biologic methods or absorbed lanthanum, iron or aluminum sources.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 26 38.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back