Best way to safely lower high phosphates??

  • Thread starter Thread starter 1Meshy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Hey guys, so my tank currently has really high phosphates.. eek!! So I've been noticing some nuisance hair algae growing on my rocks and I wasn't really sure why, so I decided to finally invest in the phosphorous hanna checker (the one that measures in ppb). I then checked my water, and apparently my phosphates are around 0.6ppm!! I'd like them to be around 0.03ppm so I can get decent coral growth, especially for my SPS I currently have.

I have a 29 gallon biocube, and I'm currently using PhosGuard in a bag in my refugium. I use about 50mL of the stuff every couple of days, just as the instructions say. The problem, however, is that my phosphates haven't really lowered. The checker still says that it's 0.6ppm despite me using PhosGuard (and I know it's not the checker because I checked a buddy of mine's tank water too and they got a lower reading than I did).

I've been looking into possibly getting rowaphos, but I read that a reactor is recommended for it. Is it worth getting a reactor just to use rowaphos? Or what do you guys recommend for my phosphate issue?

As an added note, I think my phosphate issue may be coming from my feedings. I have a blue-eyed anthias that I've been feeding in the tank 2x a day (mysis, brine shrimp, flake, pellets), as well as my corals I feed reef-roids to every Thursday. In addition, I dose 12 drops of Brightwells CoralAmino every Monday and Friday. So with all this, I need a good phosphate remover to keep up with the nutrients I'm adding into the tank.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated!
You could try using some chemipure blue in the sump area. No reactor needed. Just place it in a high flow area. It is a combo of carbon and phosphate remover. It works pretty well and should be able to help lower your phosphates. If you can, do some manual removal of the GHA and “up” your clean up crew. I would also stop feeding reef roids. They are loaded with phosphates. Only a minimal amount is needed. If you still want to use, I would wait until you get your phosphate within your specific desired range first. Also remember to monitor your corals health vs. shoot for a certain number.
 
You could try using some chemipure blue in the sump area. No reactor needed. Just place it in a high flow area. It is a combo of carbon and phosphate remover. It works pretty well and should be able to help lower your phosphates. If you can, do some manual removal of the GHA and “up” your clean up crew. I would also stop feeding reef roids. They are loaded with phosphates. Only a minimal amount is needed. If you still want to use, I would wait until you get your phosphate within your specific desired range first. Also remember to monitor your corals health vs. shoot for a certain number.
Chemipure blue? Should I try that before trying out rowaphos?

And if I stop feeding reef roids, what other food do you recommend I give my corals then? Coral frenzy, reef chili, marine snow, etc?

As for the corals, they look okay to me. They're just not growing as much as I'd like them to.
 
Chemipure blue? Should I try that before trying out rowaphos?

And if I stop feeding reef roids, what other food do you recommend I give my corals then? Coral frenzy, reef chili, marine snow, etc?

As for the corals, they look okay to me. They're just not growing as much as I'd like them to.
You could try either one. I personally use chemipure blue. As far as feeding your corals…wait for it…it’s not really necessary unless you have NPS. Corals get most of their energy through light. They will also get nutrients from the water and accept food, but go slow. I would manage your high levels before attempting to feed them reef roids again. Reef roids are a great choice for coral food, just have to use sparingly. Remember too that your corals are still getting food from when you feed your fish.
 
Any advice on keeping the particulates to a minimum? I will be putting phosphate rx into the bubbles of my skimmer
 
Should start a new challenge . Who has the highest phosphates “

I have brought mine down to 20ppb phosphorus but they bounce from high one day to lower the next .
I believe the rowaphos is working but having a hard time keeping up .
My Hanna says 200 PPB I am starting LC dosing today
 
Hm, I've never used a liquid phosphate remover before. Has it been keeping your phosphate within the 0.03 range?
I’ve had the same problem don’t know if I’m using it wrong but I started out with brs high capacity gfo used in media cup didn’t didn’t drop phosphate it just kept rising then I used it in media reactor and same results. Started using phosphate rx and that worked out. Plus side no mess to clean up afte
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new