Best way to start getting rid of this algae?

SpencerT82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my tank is 112 gallons and is light to medium stocked with nitrates of 6.3 and phosphates of 0.02. What would y’all recommend to begin to remove this green algae to begin letting the coral one grow on the rocks. The green algae is all over the rocks and a small amount on the sand. The tank is roughly 1 year old

17B276F9-B91B-4E3C-98AC-0860242106E9.jpeg EA7B2F57-25A5-4BC5-AD07-A1C4C29F776E.jpeg 41991B76-56D1-4596-9D68-EF3478551B6A.jpeg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it blow off in mats? Could be green cyano. Can you siphon it up ?

My tank is a year old and my rocks have similar green coating all over the top. I figured it was part of the rock maturing process and coraline seems to be overvtaking it now.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That just looks like film algae. Your cleanup crew will take care of that as long as you have a reasonably sized crew (appears like you do from how many I see in your pics), you don't overfeed and your parameters stay about where they are now. A good rule of thumb is half of what reefcleaners suggests for your tank size.

One issue I do see is a serious lack of coralline for how old that tank is. I don't see any at all, so you might need a seeding to get it growing. You can buy clean cultures or if your willing to take a small risk, ask a fellow reefer that you know quarantines all their arrivals if they can scrape some off of their tank for you to use as a seeding culture.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That just looks like film algae. Your cleanup crew will take care of that as long as you have a reasonably sized crew (appears like you do from how many I see in your pics), you don't overfeed and your parameters stay about where they are now. A good rule of thumb is half of what reefcleaners suggests for your tank size.

One issue I do see is a serious lack of coralline for how old that tank is. I don't see any at all, so you might need a seeding to get it growing. You can buy clean cultures or if your willing to take a small risk, ask a fellow reefer that you know quarantines all their arrivals if they can scrape some off of their tank for you to use as a seeding culture.
He mentioned it was on the sand now too. I know film algae coats the glass every few days but have never seen it coat the sand like cyano does?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

He mentioned it was on the sand now too. I know film algae coats the glass every few days but have never seen it coat the sand like cyano does?

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also get green coraline. My tanks always started with green with the marco type dry rock. Could have reg. algae on sand. See if it blows off or scrapes off. Green usually turns to purple or pink

OP
OP
SpencerT82

SpencerT82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also get green coraline. My tanks always started with green with the marco type dry rock. Could have reg. algae on sand. See if it blows off or scrapes off. Green usually turns to purple or pink
I tried to brush a small spot of with a toothbrush and absolutely nothing came off.

OP
OP
SpencerT82

SpencerT82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have tons of Coralline on my power heads but very little on my rocks and none on my rear glass

OP
OP
SpencerT82

SpencerT82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it blow off in mats? Could be green cyano. Can you siphon it up ?

My tank is a year old and my rocks have similar green coating all over the top. I figured it was part of the rock maturing process and coraline seems to be overvtaking it now.
It dose not come off at all not even with aggressive scrubbing

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to brush a small spot of with a toothbrush and absolutely nothing came off.
Like @Susan Edwards , a lot of my coralline algae started as light neon green... Hopefully this is the case for you as well!

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tons of Coralline on my power heads but very little on my rocks and none on my rear glass

Coraline typically starts on the plastic parts first long before rocks and glass.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks very much like the green coraline I've always gotten. Even in my new set up (since Oct) some of the rocks show green and they are all man made. The caribsea shows the green. I also rake my sandbed weekly or bi-weekly so try that with your sand. In one of my last tanks I used a pretty pink bimini sand and was so mad that some of the larger grains turned green. So it can show up on your sandbed.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrape the coralline off the power heads. It will spread to those rocks quickly. You can select the color you like best and scrape only that variety and in two-three weeks it should be showing up all over.

neo1738

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has the green thin layer on dry rocks that won't come off. I finally started growing pink/purple corraline w a light change. Had Current USA IC Pro 48" x2 they killed any non softie corals and couldn't grow corraline. Got couple kessils now 5 days later corraline spots on plastics. Point is what lights are you using and how much white time does your tank get? Fish and corals don't need any so it's just for you. That means make as little white light time as you need for yourself will def help w any algae problems.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back