Best Wrasse Duo or Trio for Pests

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I will be setting up a mixed reef tank 500-600 litre (around 130-150 gallons). I will keep 3-4 tangs in there, but I am not sure what fish to keep for coral pest control. I will definitely have a yellow coris wrasse but along with that I want 1-2 more wrasse that will take care of any pests in the tank and also look good. I thought of the pink streaked wrasse which looks ok but not the great. Still not sure if I should get that. Also looked at a melanurus wrasse which I heard is great for pest control and it looks decent under white light but it doesn’t look the great under blue light (same for pink streaked wrasse). I have seen pics of them under blue light but is it different in person? Are they more beautiful when we see them physically in a tank be it under blue or white light? Are there any other wrasses you guys would suggest to keep for general pest control? Please let me know, thank you!

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a smaller wrasse, and could be the last addition to stop aggression, I would recommend a sixline. They look very nice under white and blues, and they stay small enough to get into nooks and crannies and between polyps of corals.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a smaller wrasse, and could be the last addition to stop aggression, I would recommend a sixline. They look very nice under white and blues, and they stay small enough to get into nooks and crannies and between polyps of corals.
I see thank you! Also um what do you think of the melanurus wrasse and the pink streaked wrasse? Are they good for pest control?

kindafun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Melanurus in my display tank, it is constantly hunting and it's been good in the community. I have a sixline in a frag tank, it's also great and constantly hunting. Lives with some mollies in there and doesn't bother them.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Melanurus in my display tank, it is constantly hunting and it's been good in the community. I have a sixline in a frag tank, it's also great and constantly hunting. Lives with some mollies in there and doesn't bother them.
6 line and yellow coris in my tank equals no pests allowed.
I really want a six line wrasse but I am afraid that they will bother all the other fish. How did you get them to behave? If I cannot get it to behave I might have to settle with a yellow coris wrasse and a melanurus wrasse. Do you think that these two will keep the pests in check as well as the other wrasses?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want a six line wrasse but I am afraid that they will bother all the other fish. How did you get them to behave? If I cannot get it to behave I might have to settle with a yellow coris wrasse and a melanurus wrasse. Do you think that these two will keep the pests in check as well as the other wrasses?
Any of those 3 are good but the melanarus might go after inverts. The other 2 don't. My six line was like the 7th fish in my tank. Just dropped him in and he has been a model citizen. Key is lots of rock caves so he can explore and hunt all day then they don't focus on any fish. Yellow coris are striking beautiful and very peaceful but require sandbed to sleep in. @icantthink is best source for wrasse info on here.

Attachments

• 20220629_124055.jpg
    20220629_124055.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 60
OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of those 3 are good but the melanarus might go after inverts. The other 2 don't. My six line was like the 7th fish in my tank. Just dropped him in and he has been a model citizen. Key is lots of rock caves so he can explore and hunt all day then they don't focus on any fish. Yellow coris are striking beautiful and very peaceful but require sandbed to sleep in. @icantthink is best source for wrasse info on here.
I see thank you so much! Are there any other wrasses you would suggest to keep for pest control? Please let me know, thank you!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanurus and yellow coris are good options for pest control. As someone else mentioned, melanurus can go after smaller inverts as it matures. Halichoeres biocellatus aka red-lined wrasse is another good pest control option that is less likely to go after inverts.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see thank you so much! Are there any other wrasses you would suggest to keep for pest control? Please let me know, thank you!
Well in my tank I also have a blue streak cleaner wrasse. He cleans external parasites off the scales of all the other fish. They work particularly well with larger fish like tangs but he cleans all the fish in my tank diligently.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tons of wrasse to choose from. Any of the leopards, radiant wrasse, china wrasse and so on.
Well in my tank I also have a blue streak cleaner wrasse. He cleans external parasites off the scales of all the other fish. They work particularly well with larger fish like tangs but he cleans all the fish in my tank diligently.
Thank you so much!

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow coris are really great for pest control and every one I’ve had has been very friendly. And while six lines are also awesome at this, I personally will never own another one.

As others have mentioned, some can be model citizens. But in my experience it isn’t worth the gamble. A temperamental six line brings new definition to the word “mean.” And I mean downright mean, to the point they will (and I’ve personally seen it) bully fish 10 times their size.

I’d go with a yellow coris, and maybe a malamurus if you don’t needing to replace some cleanup crew a little more often.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanurus and yellow coris are good options for pest control. As someone else mentioned, melanurus can go after smaller inverts as it matures. Halichoeres biocellatus aka red-lined wrasse is another good pest control option that is less likely to go after inverts.
I plan to keep trochus and nassarius snails as well as fire and cleaner shrimp. Do you think that the Melanurus will bother these cuc? Is there any way to prevent that? Or is it hit or miss? With some they leave the cuc alone and the others bother them?

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow coris are really great for pest control and every one I’ve had has been very friendly. And while six lines are also awesome at this, I personally will never own another one.

As others have mentioned, some can be model citizens. But in my experience it isn’t worth the gamble. A temperamental six line brings new definition to the word “mean.” And I mean downright mean, to the point they will (and I’ve personally seen it) bully fish 10 times their size.

I’d go with a yellow coris, and maybe a malamurus if you don’t needing to replace some cleanup crew a little more often.
I plan to keep trochus and nassarius snails as well as fire and cleaner shrimp. Do you think that the Melanurus will bother these cuc? Is there any way to prevent that? Or is it hit or miss? With some they leave the cuc alone and the others bother them?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of those inverts should be fine with a melanurus. My mels went after blue leg hermits, astraea snails and any other smaller snail that couldn't flip itself over.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back