Bets on whether this coral bounces back!

Will this Blastomussa wellsi bounce back?

• Total voters

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This blasto has been going downhill for about two weeks, and bubble algae was taking over on the exposed skeleton. In response, I picked it up and plopped it down right in front of my pitho crab, who cleaned it and left the rest to its destiny. I plan on leaving it where it is and see what happens. What do you think its fate will be?
Edit: much better with a photo
PXL_20240502_191745567.MP.jpg

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it makes it but I voted toast because if it was in my tank that would be the case. I have a terrible record of saving pieces when they start going south. I've had a little luck moving them to another tank and they bounce back.

darrick001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That depends on what caused the issue and if the issue is resolved. I would dip it in Revive just in case it's lps eating worms. If it's not and If you have more lps that are looking poor check for stray voltage usually a heater or wave pump.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the mushroom realizes that it has a new neighbor it will reach out and finish off whatever the crab didn’t eat.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If there is color left on the skeleton, there is always room for hope, and as pointed out as long as the reason for the decline has been mitigated.
I recently had a large favia that was down to 2-3 heads, come back to life and is now a 6" dia. colony

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get it up on the rockwork with reasonable flow and appropriate lighting, I think there's high hopes for that coral. In the sandbed... not so much.

I have a blasto that, at one point was down to one or two heads, about the size of a thumbnail. It didn't look long for this world on my frag rack. So, on a lark, I mounted it on one of my rocks. It was out of the full blast of flow, and while it was high up on the rockwork, it was shaded by my toadstool, so it wasn't being overwhelmed with massive light.

It's now one of the best corals in my tank, easily 20+ heads with great extension during the day. I should have a picture of it on my home computer, I'll see if I can upload it later tonight.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my blasto as of last week:

Granddaddy Blasto.jpg

When I put it there, it looked worse than your blasto does now - most of its skeleton was exposed and covered in algae, and it had at most 3-4 living heads.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 26 23.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 81 71.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back