Better Color Rendering of Fish vs Coral Fluorescence

jeffww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any tricks or advice for balancing blues for coral color/growth vs Greens/Reds/Yellow for rendering fish color better? I hate that in heavy bleu lights all the fish look dark. Purples and pinks become dark blue. Yellows become a brownish color. I'm running a 360x with the spectral controller with 15% color and green/red/violet cranked up to 50% to render the non-fluorescent pigments. However, it somewhat washes out coral fluorescence.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re not missing blues by turning up white LEDs keep in mind. Just adding more color to the mix. But yes you do have to tolerate lower fluorescence in corals. I run my kessils full white 100% color with red, green, and violet cranked as well.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theoretically, you can accentuate coral "visual pop" by dropping down the provided light in the specific fluorescent emission wavelengths. For green fluorescence, if you removed light at 520-550nm, that ought to work.
Also, theoretically you could trade out blues that your eyes are sensitive to in the 420 to 450nm range for those that your eyes are less sensitive to closer to 400-420nm.
(This is all just theory. I don't actually have lights capable of doing such things, so I don't know if it would give you the desired result.)

OP
OP
J

jeffww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theoretically, you can accentuate coral "visual pop" by dropping down the provided light in the specific fluorescent emission wavelengths. For green fluorescence, if you removed light at 520-550nm, that ought to work.
Also, theoretically you could trade out blues that your eyes are sensitive to in the 420 to 450nm range for those that your eyes are less sensitive to closer to 400-420nm.
(This is all just theory. I don't actually have lights capable of doing such things, so I don't know if it would give you the desired result.)

That's a good way I think. Maybe why halides have a unique look to them because of UV passthrough on the glass shields in addition to the vis spectrum giving high CRI in general. Not sure I'd be able to accomplish that without some pretty custom lighting though. Maybe one day someone will make an aquarium that has glass that's been tinted a very faint shade of yellow just for reef aquariums to act as a longpass filter.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe one day someone will make an aquarium that has glass that's been tinted a very faint shade of yellow just for reef aquariums to act as a longpass filter.
That's actually brilliant. I love it.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good way I think. Maybe why halides have a unique look to them because of UV passthrough on the glass shields in addition to the vis spectrum giving high CRI in general. Not sure I'd be able to accomplish that without some pretty custom lighting though. Maybe one day someone will make an aquarium that has glass that's been tinted a very faint shade of yellow just for reef aquariums to act as a longpass filter.
Well since most white LEDs use a yellow green phosphor and most use very little output " if" you wanted to one could " theoretically" favor any color they choose to highlight using filters.
Actually if they wouldn't put in low cri white LEDs to begin with this would be a different discussion.
Screenshot_20230708-020009.png

Just add violets

Most Mh's have poor ( but better than blue centric leds) CRI.
Screenshot_20230708-013626.png

You could also speculate that since the major " blue" in the above example is the less eye sensitive 425 ( peak in the above Ushio example is at 420) or less where royal blues in LEDs ( majority of the blue for many led lights) is 440-ish and more err visible to the eye.
.It's not particularly hard to make something similar though the 2 techs are different enough to not ever be exact.

Screenshot_20230708-015315.png

Running 15% white seems to be pretty low if one wants color.

For fun another " napkin" 14000k led using 5000k Citizens high cri cobs and asst. colors. One could add a blue/ violet
"extension"
One thing worth mentioning is LEDs do not have that green spike that mh's get from the mercury emission spectrum.

Screenshot_20230708-020812.png

The calculator " scores" the spectrums ( since it is relative it is only accurate under specific conditions )
The 14000k mh scores an impressive 95.
The first led simulant scores 88.
Adding 400nm diodes would push it to 100 :)
Btw if you are counting, the calculator uses 1w diodes.

Screenshot_20230708-023520.png

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back