How to bring out flourescence in blue coral?

seerad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a trick to getting the blue/teal/purple shades of coral to pop/glow? My greens, reds, yellows, pinks, etc look fantastic and I have good growth, but as colors lean towards blue, they lose their fluorescence and just look kind of dull.

Running a pair of Hydra 32s running a modified WWC profile on a 70g tank

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a trick to getting the blue/teal/purple shades of coral to pop/glow? My greens, reds, yellows, pinks, etc look fantastic and I have good growth, but as colors lean towards blue, they lose their fluorescence and just look kind of dull.

Running a pair of Hydra 32s running a modified WWC profile on a 70g tank
Not all corals fluoresce. Specific proteins cause fluorescence. Fluorescence is actually quite complicated. Here’s an introduction to the concept.

OP
OP
seerad

seerad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I’m aware some coral are lacking fluorescence, but the coral I’m speaking of I can see fluorescence in before I purchase and add. It is across the board on all of my coral that shades of blue/purple just look dull and fade into what’s around them and on the same piece of coral that other colors are incredibly bright and fluorescent.

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I’m aware some coral are lacking fluorescence, but the coral I’m speaking of I can see fluorescence in before I purchase and add. It is across the board on all of my coral that shades of blue/purple just look dull and fade into what’s around them and on the same piece of coral that other colors are incredibly bright and fluorescent.
Ever figure this out?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back