Supplement Lighting for Kessil A80?

Jajo1390

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am transferring a 3.7g pico to a 15g AIO Waterbox Peninsula (dimensions 19.7" x 13.8" x 13.8"). I have a kessil A80 over the pico currently which I LOVE for both the shimmer and my SPS are thriving. This is a mixed reef tank with tiered corals (Acros, LPS, Soft, anemones, and a clown pair) and everyone seems quite happy currently. Tank has been running for nearly two years. Of note, I have the Kessil controller to schedule the A80 already.

From what I have read, a single A80 over a peninsula 15g will probably not quite fit the need of my SPS (please correct me if I am wrong). I want to keep the A80 for the shimmer effect, so I am not interested in getting rid of the kessil in exchange for something like a prime.

I am considering either 1) adding a second A80, 2) just upgrading to the A360x, or 3) adding a Quanta pro 2' bar LED.

We will eventually move up to a 100+ gallon tank, though I suspect we have ~5 years to go until this happens.

I am kind of leaning towards the Quanta given the higher wattage compared to adding just an A80, and I've read great things about them. It would hang over by 2 inches on either side as they are 24 inches in length... is that going to be weird? Has anyone been in that situation? Happy to just throw on a 2nd A80 if that is the easiest solution that would fit my needs.

In terms of a bar, I was thinking of using the Kessil as primary given the easy scheduling and the Quanta Meso-blue as supplement. Or would it be better to run something like a Quanta Tropic Sun as primary with Kessil set to actinic as supplement? Goal is to have SPS be happy in a mixed reef, and to get a good coral pop.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back