Better filter pump

OneOtter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am just trying to get another's opinion on my tank filter pump. So my power head is stressing my corals out a little bit and my flow from my filter pump is nothing virtually. I want to upgrade the filter pump and hope to remove my power head completely since it is a 15 gallon fluval flex tank i repurposed from a freshwater tank that crashed due to a maid spraying pledge in it trying to clean the glass. >.>
This is the pump that is standard with it.

This is one I was looking at getting and I wanted to know if others thought this would be bad since the power head in my tank is only 240gph the one i am looking at filter pump is 130gph so it is less power than the power head but more power than the fluval flex standard filter pump.

Opinions and suggestions are welcomed and loved!!!

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hard to tell what your even talking about, as far as a powerhead for a filter? we have no idea what your running, to begin to comment

OP
OP
OneOtter

OneOtter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first post is the pump in my tank and the second one is what I am wanting to replace? What's not to get about the question

OP
OP
OneOtter

OneOtter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that but my torch coral no matter where i place it in the tank is happy with the powerhead i have and it is simply 240gph. Hence why i figured I could try a 230gph filter pump instead of what i have because i think mine is dying out and this way i could go no powerhead in my tank and hopefully my torch would be happier in there. What are your opinions on that Gunner?

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are talking obout 20 times turn over through your filter. Brs recommends 20 to 50 times turn over i do not think it matters how. So I think that you would be ok doing that.

OP
OP
OneOtter

OneOtter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh right my bad sorry i misread your response and it was 4:30am here lol marvelous thank you so much fam! I will order it and let you know how it goes!

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a 15 gallon now you have rock and graval that takes away from your total amount of water say you have10 gallons total you need to push at lest 200 gallons of water that is on the low side 500 would be on the high side. Most important thing is to move the water at the top of your tank for oxygen exchange.

OP
OP
OneOtter

OneOtter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What i have right now is the powerhead running 240gph, and it is angled up at the surface towards a wall in order to create circulation and keep the oxygen exchange going. The major issues is I have a torch coral and every coral other than the torch is flourishing so my main thing is getting the torch to be a bit more happy with its flow so I am hoping that with the increase in filter pump flow the cross flow between the filter pump and the powerhead will be able to give that cross flow to make the torch happier. If this method doesnt work I will try the next and so fourth lol

OP
OP
OneOtter

OneOtter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed thank you so much will let you know within a couple days when the new pump comes in!

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am just trying to get another's opinion on my tank filter pump. So my power head is stressing my corals out a little bit and my flow from my filter pump is nothing virtually. I want to upgrade the filter pump and hope to remove my power head completely since it is a 15 gallon fluval flex tank i repurposed from a freshwater tank that crashed due to a maid spraying pledge in it trying to clean the glass. >.>
This is the pump that is standard with it.

This is one I was looking at getting and I wanted to know if others thought this would be bad since the power head in my tank is only 240gph the one i am looking at filter pump is 130gph so it is less power than the power head but more power than the fluval flex standard filter pump.

Opinions and suggestions are welcomed and loved!!!

Personally I'd steer away from those cheaper Amazon pumps they won't last very long. Sicce is a good brand and not overly pricey. IMO a good return pump/pump is well worth the extra $/wouldn't skimp on it.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'd steer away from those cheaper Amazon pumps they won't last very long. Sicce is a good brand and not overly pricey. IMO a good return pump/pump is well worth the extra $/wouldn't skimp on it.
I have been running two jabao pumps on my 125 gallon tank for 5 years one is my return pump and one for my protien skimmer. Nothing wrong with my blue line but it is loud compared to the DC pumps. And no control of the flow.

Back