Beware issues with new Apex Controller

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any news on this? Maybe the issues have been resolved?

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing how they took Fusion from a near flawless product to this. Guess that's what happens when a product is rushed out before ready just to one up another manufacturers product announcement(Cerebra). The new controller is probably less than beta. If you have a classic unit I strongly recommend avoiding updates anytime soon. And BTW I just installed the new firmware to the controller and have not pushed updates to modules.

While I will not dispute that you had an issue with your Apex Fusion experience (likely a result of some kind of network issue - on your network side or general internet infrastructure), the remainder of what you are asserting is pure speculation on your part and is far from true. Nothing was rushed. The new Apex is full release. Apex Fusion is solid for Classic as well as new Apex users. And, while we had an issue with a small fraction of hardware out there on the new Apex (reference other thread), we have been forthright in getting that information out there and quickly taking care of any customers that have the issue.

If you still have an issue with your Apex Classic, I encourage you to contact support via our web site and they will help you out.

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I will not dispute that you had an issue with your Apex Fusion experience (likely a result of some kind of network issue - on your network side or general internet infrastructure), the remainder of what you are asserting is pure speculation on your part and is far from true. Nothing was rushed. The new Apex is full release. Apex Fusion is solid for Classic as well as new Apex users. And, while we had an issue with a small fraction of hardware out there on the new Apex (reference other thread), we have been forthright in getting that information out there and quickly taking care of any customers that have the issue.

If you still have an issue with your Apex Classic, I encourage you to contact support via our web site and they will help you out.

Can you confirm that the issue with the new hardware has been solved? I'm holding my purchase awaiting assurance that it has been solved. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I will be taking the unit to Panama and it would be very complicated for me having to send it back for repair. So I prefer to hold until I'm certain that the issue has been solved. Thanks.

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the issue has been resolved.

Was the issue solved at the server side or at the unit side? I want to know if I can buy ANY one of the new units or I need to look for a specific revision or greater than a specific serial number. Thanks a lot.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since nearly all systems out there were sold, if you order now, especially from an online source, it is almost certain you will get one that does not have the faulty part as we just began shipping again at the end of last week after a two week hiatus.

burtonboy182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am having the disconnect issues. Worked great for a day and then i haven't been able to get on since. I find it hard to believe that we are all having the same issues as you say "(likely a result of some kind of network issue - on your network side or general internet infrastructure)". When i was on the phone with Tech support they told me the same thing. ;););)
I have no access at this point to my apex from my original setup.
Dont get me wrong im a big fan of Neptune. I have 2 of their units besides the new 2016. I have the classic and a gold. Took the gold of my main display tank to upgrade to the new unit. I also have the WAVs. I may get my MP40s and MP60s out since i loose function of my WAVS while trying to fix my new Apex. Having them off and only running my return isn't making me comfortable.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am having the disconnect issues. Worked great for a day and then i haven't been able to get on since. I find it hard to believe that we are all having the same issues as you say .

The issue from the OP and your issue are likely not the same. Have you updated to the latest AOS for your new Apex. Anew version with network related changes was just pushed out on Saturday I believe. Version ending in 7G16

burtonboy182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i upgraded last night. Had to run a wire from my router to get connected online. Still having the same problem. I reset it several times and each time get disconnected

pa1ntbru5h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since nearly all systems out there were sold, if you order now, especially from an online source, it is almost certain you will get one that does not have the faulty part as we just began shipping again at the end of last week after a two week hiatus.
Looks like I'm ready to purchase then! This will be my first aquarium controller. I was waiting it out because with zero experience on the Apex, I didn't want to have to deal with all the issues with the initial release.

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I'm ready to purchase then! This will be my first aquarium controller. I was waiting it out because with zero experience on the Apex, I didn't want to have to deal with all the issues with the initial release.

Please don't forget this thread and come back to let us know how did it go with your new Apex.

Trevor40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's too bad they are having problems. I have heard a few stories locally that has me second guessing if I would buy an updated Apex for awhile until they work out the bugs. Hopefully things get better because I have loved this controller and have had very few problems.

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's too bad they are having problems. I have heard a few stories locally that has me second guessing if I would buy an updated Apex for awhile until they work out the bugs. Hopefully things get better because I have loved this controller and have had very few problems.

Ill be the first to say they are having issues at least with my system as it still does not work :). That said will it be fixed at some point yes.. As long as Neptune is a healthy company the issues will be solved and fixed. I hope soon :p....

In the end if this was a product from any other supplier I would have returned it weeks ago. There support staff though is good and do there best not to leave any stone unturned and do there best to help. This is more then i can say for a lot of the businesses out there.

I have stayed as positive as I can about the overall situation of my apex problems.

Is the product good? YES
does it have issues? YES
will it be fixed? YES.
Will it take a while? I think so.
Will it end the world? NO.
Would I buy the new apex knowing what I know now? NO ( I would have waited 6 months).
Are there reports of flawlessly working apex units? YES
Do they post about it? NO, forums are usually places people ask questions, complain or Learn most people don't post about how amazing there new pump is only when it breaks :p
Is Neptune support staff amazing? YES
Do I want my apex to work? Y E S.. (Neptune please make my apex work, Thank You)

As stated above if this was any other company I would have signed out a long time ago. This is kinda a testament to there support staff.

I still have a major issue that out of 3 apex units I still don't have one that works. I think my total number of apex head units will be 5 before it works for me. This is just a wild guess but seems like it is going to happen.

This is not to scare you from buying the new Apex just my experience as of now.

The big question is even with my issues with the new Apex, I still would recommend it to most reefers as there system is still unmatched.

The frustration is extremely high right now with me but I can still state the FACT that is will be fixed and they do take care of there customers. I still am not happy thought :( and I want a Christmas card from now on from them.

:)

jeremy.gosnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too got an Apex with a failing SD card. While issues with the failing SD card are frustrating, Neptune's support made it as painless as possible and far less painless than other tech products that fail. In fact, their support out-ranks much larger companies like Apple, various cell phone providers, etc. Usually when I've gotten new tech that fails within a few weeks of purchase, I've gone through multiple-loop-holes and hours on the phone with tech support trying to fix it. Neptune was able to log into my Mac, diagnose the Apex's problem and have another one sent to me, all under an hour.

From what I understand, the failed SD cards have all been phased out and that problem is corrected.

OP
OP
Raddock

Raddock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to update my status here, I've had no problems since installing the new AOS ! My connection has been solid for several weeks and all components are working fine! Thanks Neptune. Esp Jon and Luis

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks terence. I in Asia am so happy that i was not part of the initial sales of problems from this new unit.

pa1ntbru5h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my Apex in the mail. I'll be setting it up next week. I don't have internet at the new house right now so I'm just waiting on that first. I'll keep you guys updated

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Actually my system (gold+) has been acting erratic since the updates. Now just about an hour ago the whole thing crashed. Its been rebooted with no luck. Controller comes online green but all modules flashing yellow. Tried a number of things with no luck. The Apex browser also does not see the unit and being the display is solid blue kinda screwed. This is a something of a crisis and the only option I have for support is to create a ticket. Your website welcomes calls but as usual no one answers the phone ever. Tried chat... before I can finish typing it cuts you off with something along the lines of no ones available go file a ticket. Put in a ticket which promises a response in 12-24 hours. Tank would be dead if I waited that long so I guess its going to be rip apex apart night. Maybe I'll get a response earlier but not holding my breath.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back