Beware of the newer Home Depot buckets

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't pinpoint exactly when they changed their manufacturing process but the quality of the newer ones have gone way down. I was using one to carry water to my tank in the office and the handle broke off with no warning and the bucket just shattered when it hit the floor spilling 5 gallons onto the floor. My 4 yr old son not knowing what happened ran over and slipped on the water and smacked his head pretty hard. Luckily he was ok with just a small bump.

When I bent the remaining pieces of the bucket the plastic instead of flexing snapped like a dry twig. I went to check my other ones and they all crackled when I squeezed them. They're only 2-3 months old and I've always kept them out of the sun. Go read some of the recent reviews and you'll see it isn't just me. These are going to be my last ones.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ace buckets suck too. They are super thin. I run one of those 5g bucket shopvacs to empty my sump and the bucket collapses from the $10 vacuums pressure.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious, does it say HPDE with the 2 in the recycle ♻️ symbol? Argee Corp? Made in the USA?

Mines been through hell and back. I don't know how old it is.
IMG_20231126_215052222.jpg

IMG_20231126_215320590.jpg

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use my old reef crystals buckets. Thankfully the plastic handles are durable enough that I’ve had some of them for over 2 years.

SpursFan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have tons of new ones all made the exact same as they have for a decade plus.

Did you leave it where it froze?!

OP
OP
A

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious, does it say HPDE with the 2 in the recycle ♻️ symbol? Argee Corp? Made in the USA?

Mines been through hell and back. I don't know how old it is.
IMG_20231126_215052222.jpg

IMG_20231126_215320590.jpg
Just checked and mine says the same thing. I did have one that was different with different markings and the logo says the Home Dept instead of the Homer's picture. The trim around the top is totally different as well. The plastic is much more pliable on this one while the plastic on the other felt very brittle. No marking to show when it was made though.
20231127_124909.jpg

20231127_124915.jpg

20231127_124744.jpg

20231127_124819.jpg

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they are flimsy now. Get yourself a brute trash can and the roller to go with it if you are on one floor. you can tote your water around with that and use pump to transfer the water and save your back.

Jasc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't pinpoint exactly when they changed their manufacturing process but the quality of the newer ones have gone way down. I was using one to carry water to my tank in the office and the handle broke off with no warning and the bucket just shattered when it hit the floor spilling 5 gallons onto the floor. My 4 yr old son not knowing what happened ran over and slipped on the water and smacked his head pretty hard. Luckily he was ok with just a small bump.

When I bent the remaining pieces of the bucket the plastic instead of flexing snapped like a dry twig. I went to check my other ones and they all crackled when I squeezed them. They're only 2-3 months old and I've always kept them out of the sun. Go read some of the recent reviews and you'll see it isn't just me. These are going to be my last ones.
Yup mine exploded with CLOWNFISH inside.

Sesty22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some food grade buckets that I think they usually make pickles in, I've been using them for almost 2 years, and I've just had the same thing happen to me TWICE!... First one the handle snapped off and it shattered when it hit the ground, flooded my entryway.. (wife was so happy!!) the second one as soon as i lifted it, the bottom exploded and flooded part of the garage.

Buckets are stored in a finished garage that never gets too hot or cold. I've been wanting to switch to the 5 gallon water jugs I use to sore my water, they seem very durable, but I haven't found a pump small enough to get in there and get things mixed up, was thinking of getting the new smallest AI pump, but the unbranded one so its cheaper, I've seen a video online of someone dropping it right into one of the water jugs.

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, quality sucks.

I had a new red Home Depot buckets handle rip out carrying maybe 40lbs of wet rope in it. One of my new blue Lowes buckets cracked from using it as an impromptu chair. I haven't had an Ace Hardware bucket in a long while, my local Ace only has that opaque white and I never have been a fan of those.

The only round buckets that are still good imo..

The 6.5g, screw lid, pool store buckets that contained chlorine tablets.
The 5g food grade white Home Depot/Lowes.
The 5g black Advanced Auto.
The 5g red Fire House Subs pickle.

^I have picked up and used these this year

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also use food storage buckets just for making the water change water and getting rid of dt water. Otherwise my rodi water is stored in Blue Life water jugs purchased from LFS 13 years ago. Still going strong.

OP
OP
A

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s your son today ? Poor little guy !
He's doing good. I was frantically trying to attend to him and look for towels or anything to soak up the water. Monitored him for awhile after but didn't notice anything odd in his behavior. Took it like a champ.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Yeah they are flimsy now. Get yourself a brute trash can and the roller to go with it if you are on one floor. you can tote your water around with that and use pump to transfer the water and save your back.

The second best investment I've made in 20 years of reefing would be a couple of brute trash cans with rollers. Lugging buckets sucks!

Ironically, my best investment is also relevant here. That being a solid rodi system.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%

Back