BEWARE OF THE PANTHER GROUPER

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a little over a foot and tries to swallow anything that breaks the waters surface.
Sorry that yours is not there anymore to eat your other inhabitants

mine did the same thing.. as soon as I walk over to the tank he would go to the top of the tank.. the first bit of anything that touched the surface he/she would inhale in a single gulp

Mine does the same thing. As soon as I come over he goes to the top of the tank and sticks his mouth out of the water. He tries to get the food before hitting the water. Some times he will come up and try to gulp food when I didn't even put anything in. He is by far my favorite fish.

bobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, if it fits it'll eat it that's the way of the grouper!
No way are shrimp safe, they where a expensive treat.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one I had years ago would eat anything. They are garbage disposals:)

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so 3yrs ago when my wife picked this fish out it was about 2" and "sooo cute" as I recall.. since then it took me $200-$300 in losses and a couple posts on here to figure out that "Lucille" (as my wife named her) was the culprit in the disappearance of about 6 peppermint shrimp, 6 cleaner shrimp, 2 clowns and stressed out a couple others.. I woke up to find Lucille (now 7"-8")dead at the bottom of the tank. Upon removal I discovered she died choking on my black damsel (Obama).. unbelievable.. yet.. believable.. you can clearly see Obama's tail in her mouth in the attached pic

j IMAG0705_1.jpg
Had the same experience 15 years ago...tiny panther grouper...took my school of green chromis, several firefish...finally returned him to store...he had grown pretty big by than (good meaty diet)...another example of why not to buy on impulse!...every thing that goes into the tank should be researched for compatibility, tank size, etc.:rolleyes:

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got to say, in petco's defense, i did get an amazing firefish there. It was weird, i only go there if i'm passing by (rare), and stopped in a about 10 months ago, tanks are filthy and fish are in horrible condition, go there about 6 months ago and tanks are crystal clean, fish are healthy, even a massive carpet anemone that was giant and super healthy looking, i bought a little firefish for $15 and he looked amazing, still the prettiest firefish i have yet to see. Anyways i come back a month later and they have returned to their usual standards. I don't understand this place ha ha ha.

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugghh, sorry, petco got me off track, i got on here to say that i also do not understand why juveniles are sold so commonly, they look so innocent. I just had to be the sole person to say something postive about petco (though i still think their fishkeeping methods are very lax)

Back