Panther Grouper going on the warpath

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had this panther since it was like 2 inches he’s probably about 16 inches now. He’s been an lagoon mate but about 2 weeks ago he got into it with my 7 inch clown trigger I happened to be there and saw it. 1 day later clown triggers dead and both blueline triggers are flooding in the overflow too There are 4 niger triggers in there and he leaves them alone. There is a queen trigger in there which is full size and I swear the groupers starting to try to irritate it too. There are several large eels and lions and 2 rays and a couple sharks and ya sometimes thing get eaten but this groupers hunting. I’ve never seen this kind of aggression from a panther before. Is it like mating season or something ? Have several other groupers in there. They are always at the front row when feeding so I know it’s not due to that

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had this panther since it was like 2 inches he’s probably about 16 inches now. He’s been an lagoon mate but about 2 weeks ago he got into it with my 7 inch clown trigger I happened to be there and saw it. 1 day later clown triggers dead and both blueline triggers are flooding in the overflow too There are 4 niger triggers in there and he leaves them alone. There is a queen trigger in there which is full size and I swear the groupers starting to try to irritate it too. There are several large eels and lions and 2 rays and a couple sharks and ya sometimes thing get eaten but this groupers hunting. I’ve never seen this kind of aggression from a panther before. Is it like mating season or something ? Have several other groupers in there. They are always at the front row when feeding so I know it’s not due to that

lol dude if a grouper messed with my queen trigger, blueline or clown I’d punt it out of my tank.

How big is your lagoon…sounds awesome!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! It took out a clown trigger??? Yeah nah I would be angry. Your tank sounds awesome though! Maybe look into getting him his own tank if he is going to be a bully?

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 5” blueline grouper take out a 9” Niger and arrowhead basslet. I took it to the lfs the next day, no groupers allowed in my tank since.

This thing would just ram other fish and it would lurk in the back of the tank…not worth the headache.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 5” blueline grouper take out a 9” Niger and arrowhead basslet. I took it to the lfs the next day, no groupers allowed in my tank since.

This thing would just ram other fish and it would lurk in the back of the tank…not worth the headache.
Oh wow… I love my grouper! He is a marine betta so very shy and mild tempered. I want a panther when I have my tank upgraded but now Im thinking Ill just stick to my betta! He is beautiful and a nice grouper lol

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow… I love my grouper! He is a marine betta so very shy and mild tempered. I want a panther when I have my tank upgraded but now Im thinking Ill just stick to my betta! He is beautiful and a nice grouper lol

I’m not sure how marine bettas got lumped into groupers I’ve never owned one but they seem completely different…I’d try a saddle grouper but that’s about it.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure how marine bettas got lumped into groupers I’ve never owned one but they seem completely different…I’d try a saddle grouper but that’s about it.
He does eat like a grouper Ive noticed! But yeah Im not sure either lol but he still is considered a grouper and he is super cute!

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull it out. Get yourself some blackened fish seasoning and enjoy. They'll eat anything they can fit into their mouths. Once he's mature he doesn't have friends he wouldn't eat. It's just doing what groupers do.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back