Bi-colour hammer detached from skeleton

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hammer has just decided to detach itself from its skeleton. it's been in the dt for about 3months, and growing well. I noticed it the other day that it was gone, the heads clean off. I suspected our peppermint shrimp, until today when I noticed a weird little ball floating around, and I noticed it was the hammer head.
its looks in decent health for now. its been detached for about 3 days now. could I reattach it to something? or save it somehow?

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyp bailout is usually the last resort for your coral. It was either too stressed out or the conditions changed too quickly for it to be stable. Have you added or changed anything drastic recently??

OP
OP
Colin_S

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nothing has changed recently, I checked all my parameters a few days ago all good apart from High po4 which is slowly coming down.

I did re scape the rocks and used putty to cement the rocks together is places, all reef safe stuff, but thats the only change for months.
Can I save the coral?

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changing around the rocks may have caused it. The detritus and trapped gasses could have been released into the DT. May cause a huge swing in ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels.

OP
OP
Colin_S

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would normally agree with that, but the only rocks I didn't move was the one with the hammer on. I don't have a lot of rocks and have good flow throughout the rocks, not dead spaces. my sand bed (but not sand) is hoovered once a month, plus my blue cheek gobie is constantly stirring it up like a champ.
no other corals affected or closed up.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would normally agree with that, but the only rocks I didn't move was the one with the hammer on. I don't have a lot of rocks and have good flow throughout the rocks, not dead spaces. my sand bed (but not sand) is hoovered once a month, plus my blue cheek gobie is constantly stirring it up like a champ.
no other corals affected or closed up.
I had one do it due to flow changes.....it sucks I'm sorry.

OP
OP
Colin_S

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the hammer is still alive, I think. so I fished it out and glued it back on the skeleton, but put it in a different location.. fingers crossed

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back