Big light, small tank. Too much weight?

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about light weight/ mounting.

I have a Waterbox Mini Peninsula 15g (5mm glass). My Prime16 (0.95 lbs) is having issues.

I was curious if a Kessil AP9x (2lbs) with the mounting arm would be safe to use. It would be attached to the 3rd chamber (return) and the light would sit parallel with the tank. Is that too much for the thickness of the glass.

Unfortunately, I have to use a tank mounted solution and can't hang the light. Yes, I realize this is too strong of a light amd a bit overkill... If this is unsafe, I hope to trade for a smaller light. I've tried searching, but for some reason it seems like people aren't putting massive lights over nanos.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're probably asking for trouble. Mounting any light to a clamp on bracket on thin glass is never a good idea. Ask me how I know. lol It's not even the weight of the light. It's that one random time you'll bump into the light and break the glass. The tube brackets are the only way to go. If you had room to mount them to the stand, that would be the way to go. personally I won't put any light on any glass or acrylic. But 5mm glass is definitely pushing it. I definitely wouldnt do it. Remember, that 2 lb light is not directly over the top of the glass, it's hanging off a bracket and now acting like a lever against the glass which is more than 2 lbs of pressure on that little clamp on thing. If there was a bracket that could mount the light to both sides of the tank and support the weight evenly, that would definitely be a lot smarter way to go about it.

Maybe one of the guys in here can 3d print something for you, or you can make something?

Here's what I did...the brackets I used were meant for a tank bracket, but I bolted it to my aluminum stand.
Screws into a wood stand would be just as strong. I could put a shelf on top of my tank brackets and they still wouldnt go anywhere and nothing touches the tank.

1700835647997.png

OP
OP
Hasted

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're probably asking for trouble. Mounting any light to a clamp on bracket on thin glass is never a good idea. Ask me how I know. lol It's not even the weight of the light. It's that one random time you'll bump into the light and break the glass. The tube brackets are the only way to go. If you had room to mount them to the stand, that would be the way to go. personally I won't put any light on any glass or acrylic. But 5mm glass is definitely pushing it. I definitely wouldnt do it. Remember, that 2 lb light is not directly over the top of the glass, it's hanging off a bracket and now acting like a lever against the glass which is more than 2 lbs of pressure on that little clamp on thing. If there was a bracket that could mount the light to both sides of the tank and support the weight evenly, that would definitely be a lot smarter way to go about it.

Maybe one of the guys in here can 3d print something for you, or you can make something?

Here's what I did...the brackets I used were meant for a tank bracket, but I bolted it to my aluminum stand.
Screws into a wood stand would be just as strong. I could put a shelf on top of my tank brackets and they still wouldnt go anywhere and nothing touches the tank.

1700835647997.png
I love this set up. Unfortunately, this tank is for a classroom so I am severely limited to what I am able to do.

I will be looking to trade this light for something a bit more reasonable, I guess. Haha

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, in a tank that size there are a lot of smaller lights that are much safer to clamp to the glass.
And it's "black friday", so there are a lot of deals, new and even used.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back