Big Mistake made and learned from

r4rlee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my aquarium about a year and a half ago everything was doing good until I moved where I moved to the building was hotter and I noticed that I had a lot more evaporation so I will top off the tank with salt water not realizing that the water evaporates but not salt I was wondering why I was getting salt spikes until I was talking to somebody at my LFSO who then told me what I was doing wrong but by this time I had lost all my coral totalling about $2000 Canadian so if you’re new to the hobby please do not make the same mistake I did

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no. I am so sorry to hear of your loss! I didn't make this mistake but I could have. When I first joined this forum to do my research I was confused by what people were calling topoffs with freshwater. I couldn't quite wrap my head around it even after all my reading. I finally had to ask the question. Thank goodness for this forum because I would've done exactly what you did. I'm surprised you still didn't see the salinity rising even at your old location. Even minor topoffs with saltwater will creep up a lot over time.

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my aquarium about a year and a half ago everything was doing good until I moved where I moved to the building was hotter and I noticed that I had a lot more evaporation so I will top off the tank with salt water not realizing that the water evaporates but not salt I was wondering why I was getting salt spikes until I was talking to somebody at my LFSO who then told me what I was doing wrong but by this time I had lost all my coral totalling about $2000 Canadian so if you’re new to the hobby please do not make the same mistake I did
That is crushing news. Bright side, you'll crush it next go at it. Mistakes will definitely happen and learning from them makes it better next time around.

Djordan719

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry that happened! That particular mistake didn’t happen to me, but I’ve made plenty in the last few years. Posts like yours are good to see and I hope that a new Reefer sees stuff like that so they don’t make the same mistakes

My biggest mistake (so far) is impulse buying without doing enough research. I would buy an expensive piece of equipment in the beginning that was either more than I needed, or too small for my needs. Also at my LFS I would see a cool fish or coral without taking the time to research reef compatibility or their specific habitat and dietary needs. I feel like I’ve learned from what I call my biggest mistake(s). I’m planning my next build, and I find myself thoroughly researching every aspect of it. I also spend time asking others for their opinions as well.

Good luck to you and keep reefin!

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These posts remind of of the mistakes that are so easy to make , just thinking we have salt water aquariums why are we putting freshwater in ! Makes sense ….

glad you finally caught it

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry that happened! That particular mistake didn’t happen to me, but I’ve made plenty in the last few years. Posts like yours are good to see and I hope that a new Reefer sees stuff like that so they don’t make the same mistakes

My biggest mistake (so far) is impulse buying without doing enough research. I would buy an expensive piece of equipment in the beginning that was either more than I needed, or too small for my needs. Also at my LFS I would see a cool fish or coral without taking the time to research reef compatibility or their specific habitat and dietary needs. I feel like I’ve learned from what I call my biggest mistake(s). I’m planning my next build, and I find myself thoroughly researching every aspect of it. I also spend time asking others for their opinions as well.

Good luck to you and keep reefin!
This, this and this.

I think we all have done something without knowing. At least we learn(ed).

Back