Big Neptune Systems Announcement on Live Event Today

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

I'm glad to see everyone excited about the announcement but please refrain from using vulgarity or masked vulgarity when posting. There were a couple posts that the sensor caught.

Now come on neptune, release the announcement early! Haha

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to take a stab at censorship here, but mine was on the ridiculous side. Just sayin'...

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New apex with salinity /pm2 port included...what else? I have poor connection here. Can't hear anything...I only see the Terrence and Greg doing sign language. ... ;-)

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't get to watch. Whats being announced?

E_Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very upset that the new EB8's are not compatible with the apex classic

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brief synopsis:

There is a new Apex coming out in a couple weeks. Will be same price as Apex Gold ($799.95).

All wireless (although can be hard-wired). Amps can be read on each outlet. EB-8 now is twice as big, because it adds spots to elimiate the power supply of your other Neptune products (feeders, dosers, pumps). New, upgraded probes. New mounting system. Also a new, upgraded Fusion. Does not come with a display, but can be used with any tablet, phone, etc...

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am personally VERY disappointed with this announcement. Nothing really compelling about upgrading.... But my biggest concern is the non-backwards compatibility of the EB832. There is literally zero reason it would not work. It is an EB8 with individual monitoring and the 1link module built in. It is still aquabus.... I'm hoping it's not a sign of things to come and "forced obsolescence" of the now "legacy" apex controller.

Don

Last edited:

DaveJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't see much in the way of true technical improvements, just some moderate functionality. News to Neptune, you want to impress a new release that bumps a new generation and eliminates the prior generation without compatibility, it better be loaded with features. Reduction of cables (only a couple at that) is NOT impressive. Color snapons, not impressive. New probe sensitivity and quality? moderate selling point but understand we don't need that precise... just stable, holds calibration and gives a good solid reading. Want to impress me, alk, cal monitors would do that. Power backups built in would do that.

What you are selling with this new unit would appeal to the smaller high end tank user that wants to look cool. The die hard, large tank operator would want much more in the way of functionality and improvements to justify having to repurchase multiple power bars, modules etc.

I also don't appreciate the 1 month push to clear inventory with the $100 off sale only to obsolete new purchase. Ecotech did that with vortecs and it drove customers and dealers alike crazy mad. Why save 100 on obsolete models when you can wait a month and get the current. That kind of inventory foolery loses you customers and dealers alike fast.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty disgusted its not backwards compatible. Means this is the first step to no longer supporting the current apex system spent a fortune on.

Yes it is, it still uses the aqua bus technology so all older modules will work with it still

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The EB832 is not backwards compatible with the current Apex. Which is essentially a pretty EB8 with a 1Link module and power supply built in...

It's only compelling feature to most is the individual outlet power monitoring.

Don

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm concerned the "aquarium geek" isn't their target anymore. I could care less if something is orange and gray. My apex isn't meant to be on display. I plug it in once and never touch it again. I am a big proponent of the mantra "form follows function". Give me the functionality first then make it look pretty. It's seems all their R&D on this was spent with marketing and the designers in making a pretty box..... Shifting resources away from the COR and FMM for this?!? Really?

I have no issue with something looking well designed, quite the contrary. I just feel like they stuffed a PM2 in with the current Apex and added a hinge along with the new features of the EB832 that my current Apex is unable to work with, based on what I can only assume is a forced "software limitation".

Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The EB832 is not backwards compatible with the current Apex. Which is essentially a pretty EB8 with a 1Link module and power supply built in...

It's only compelling feature to most is the individual outlet power monitoring.

Don

I thought you were talking about the modules. Apologizes

tjnorthdakota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of the fancy new colors I would have preffered a sweet waterproof clear acrylic mounting cabinet with built in cord organizers I could have mounted to the side of my tank to put all apex stuff in.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back