OP
steve&mari

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That acanthus is sweet your scolies also look top notch. Awesome tank man. I'm setting up my 40 breeder this weekend and you just made me feel good about it
Thanks man my son's been posting some pics from his new phone. I really wish they'd find the camera I ordered so I can get better pics some colors are little off but not bad. Will be looking for pictures of yours after it's going the 40b is a cool tank to play with. I picked up a phosban 150 reactor for 10 yesterday and some matrix biological media for it hopefully get it running tomorrow.

Going to be placing a order with liveaquaria soon a big thanks to @143MPCo and his kindness of a gift certificate. What should we get either a couple wrasse or couple blennies I'm kind of thinking between. Blennies would be from Midas,greenhead canary,forktail fang, and a regular canary those are what I'm thinking of choosing 2 from. Wrasse not really sure yet open to any suggestions @3FordFamily and everyone else.

Last edited:

squirrelieygrrrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are great pictures considering they come from a phone! Can't wait to see what you guys do with the new camera. Great lps, all so pretty, though I'm a sucker for a nice acanthophyllia. I personally love the dimensions of a 40b. That's essentially what my cad 40's dimensions are.

I'm a wrasse person for sure, and very partial to the smaller Halichoeres and flasher species. A fork tail fang would be killer!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man my son's been posting some pics from his new phone. I really wish they'd find the camera I ordered so I can get better pics some colors are little off but not bad. Will be looking for pictures of yours after it's going the 40b is a cool tank to play with. I picked up a phosban 150 reactor for 10 yesterday and some matrix biological media for it hopefully get it running tomorrow.

Going to be placing a order with liveaquaria soon thanks to @143MPCo and his kindness of a gift certificate. What should we get either a couple wrasse or couple blennies I'm kind of thinking between. Blennies would be from Midas,greenhead canary,forktail fang, and a regular canary those are what I'm thinking of choosing 2 from. Wrasse not really sure yet open to any suggestions @3FordFamily and everyone else.

I really like yellow coris and vroliks although both halichoeres will eat inverts if they get large enough. I also like flasher wrasses for smaller tanks as they stay a manageable size and bring some Crimson to the tank!

OP
OP
steve&mari

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like yellow coris and vroliks although both halichoeres will eat inverts if they get large enough. I also like flasher wrasses for smaller tanks as they stay a manageable size and bring some Crimson to the tank!
I was thinking maybe a couple flasher wrasse. If I'm correct in understanding if males are together they'll keep colors and flash even without a female with them. Would they be ok with the bluesided fairy wrasse we already have in the 40b.

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I just looked through your entire thread! What a beautiful tank! I've had tears in my eyes through the whole thing! Cancer sucks, my son had a battle with it last year, chemo, radiation, side effects and time in the hospital from infections, but we praise God that he was announced cancer free on January 2nd! Following along and praying for you and your family! God is good!!!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking maybe a couple flasher wrasse. If I'm correct in understanding if males are together they'll keep colors and flash even without a female with them. Would they be ok with the bluesided fairy wrasse we already have in the 40b.

Yeah that's true.

I am not sure on blue sided but if adding more than one wrasse you probably wouldn't have anything to worry about.

OP
OP
steve&mari

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I just looked through your entire thread! What a beautiful tank! I've had tears in my eyes through the whole thing! Cancer sucks, my son had a battle with it last year, chemo, radiation, side effects and time in the hospital from infections, but we praise God that he was announced cancer free on January 2nd! Following along and praying for you and your family! God is good!!!
Thank you for the kind words and the prayers. I and my family believe prayers are the best medicine and they guide Dr in his work of God's blessings. I'm very happy for your son and family to have gotten such a good report in January. I am adding your family to our prayers as well. Cancer is a horrible thing and it rips my heart out seeing kids going through it at the cancer center. It's one thing for me to deal with it I'm grown and very strong in mind body and spirit so it's no biggie I can handle it and be a inspiration to others hopefully. But kids it's just so unfair and can't help but have tears fill my eyes seeing them n the families. Yet the kids even if they don't understand completely they are warriors and lots of times the source of strength for the family. They are a true inspiration of just loving life for the moment.

thehammer1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fang tooth blennies are awesome and I wish I could suggest a flame fairy but in a 40 no go. I had a mccoskers and they have great personality and beautiful open water swimmers. Freaked me out when I first got him though I went downstairs to my qt and he was in a mucus cocoon I thought he was dead.

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the kind words and the prayers. I and my family believe prayers are the best medicine and they guide Dr in his work of God's blessings. I'm very happy for your son and family to have gotten such a good report in January. I am adding your family to our prayers as well. Cancer is a horrible thing and it rips my heart out seeing kids going through it at the cancer center. It's one thing for me to deal with it I'm grown and very strong in mind body and spirit so it's no biggie I can handle it and be a inspiration to others hopefully. But kids it's just so unfair and can't help but have tears fill my eyes seeing them n the families. Yet the kids even if they don't understand completely they are warriors and lots of times the source of strength for the family. They are a true inspiration of just loving life for the moment.

I totally agree, prayer is our lifeline. My son is in his early 20's and he's my youngest (I'm old ;) ). He was training at the WSP Academy when we discovered his cancer. He has finished his training and is now a Trooper with the WSP. I also agree that it is really hard to watch the little ones go through the battle of cancer and other life threatening illnesses. It's amazing how strong they can be! Thank you and God bless!

OP
OP
steve&mari

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree, prayer is our lifeline. My son is in his early 20's and he's my youngest (I'm old ;) ). He was training at the WSP Academy when we discovered his cancer. He has finished his training and is now a Trooper with the WSP. I also agree that it is really hard to watch the little ones go through the battle of cancer and other life threatening illnesses. It's amazing how strong they can be! Thank you and God bless!
My oldest son is 29 he has epilepsy and I'm sure you feel the same don't matter the age they always will be our little buddies ;).

OP
OP
steve&mari

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fang tooth blennies are awesome and I wish I could suggest a flame fairy but in a 40 no go. I had a mccoskers and they have great personality and beautiful open water swimmers. Freaked me out when I first got him though I went downstairs to my qt and he was in a mucus cocoon I thought he was dead.
The maccoskers was one I was thinking of maybe a blue line flasher also or filament flasher. Trying to find something to swim in open water more clowns stay by nem n low mandarin is all over but not a real open water swimmer. So seems rather bare with only the bluesided fairy wrasse swimming around openly.

OP
OP
steve&mari

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys it's been fun getting everything and putting it together with my wife and son. I'm pretty happy with it so far it's helped with my depression and has me feeling more motivated to stay on top of it. We ordered a pair of @gooch big uns to add to the reef with the magnetic frag station. Scott's work is simply stunning and the highest quality craftsmanship. We'll have alternative reef products from the sandbed to the back wall glass ;):D. We've had his work in every reef we've done we'll always be a loyal customer.

OP
OP
steve&mari

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the U of M cancer center again today. Waiting for scan results and if they're good still then another round of study chemo. Hopefully everyone is having a great day.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 28.9%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back