Big white lump on fish

Mrcote1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new melanarus wrasse is in QT with a purple tang, and I've had them both for about a week. Both fish eating fine. The wrasse is getting large bumps on his body and his fins are getting frayed (definitely not the purple tang) the tang is about an inch and the wrasse is about 4". Any clue what this is and how to treat?

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new melanarus wrasse is in QT with a purple tang, and I've had them both for about a week. Both fish eating fine. The wrasse is getting large bumps on his body and his fins are getting frayed (definitely not the purple tang) the tang is about an inch and the wrasse is about 4". Any clue what this is and how to treat?
Pictures would help in identification. Do you have a pic of the white bumps you are talking about?

OP
OP
Mrcote1

Mrcote1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture of wrasse

20181125_112630.jpg

20181125_112653.jpg

20181125_113103.jpg

20181125_113100.jpg

OP
OP
Mrcote1

Mrcote1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are pictures, best I could get with him moving constantly. In the first picture you can see the bumps on his belly too

OP
OP
Mrcote1

Mrcote1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really concerned about my purple tang too, whatever it is I don't want the tang to get it because I'm trying to fix HLLE on it. I did one round of prazipro so far and soak foods in metroplex and focus for 4 days now

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me the fins look like Lympho but I'm not sure about the bumps. If lympho then there isn't a "cure" for it as it is viral. Most all fish in the hobby have it and with proper diet and water quality will start to look better over time. It will always be there and can flare up if water quality drops.

If it is a bacterial infection then antibiotics may be necessary to help the fish beat it. Sometimes proper diet and water quality can rid the infection without meds.

OP
OP
Mrcote1

Mrcote1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if its lympho, then is it okay to go on with treatment as per usual and introduce the tang and wrasse to the DT once all symptoms are gone? Or would it be a bad idea to put them in the DT?

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if its lympho, then is it okay to go on with treatment as per usual and introduce the tang and wrasse to the DT once all symptoms are gone? Or would it be a bad idea to put them in the DT?
If lympho then proceed with your QT protocol. I'm just not 100% sure it is. I think so but not sure enough to steer you the wrong way.

OP
OP
Mrcote1

Mrcote1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fins look like lympho after reading pages of that link. but those giant lumps on his body don't appear like they are lympho?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lumps on body aren’t lympho, fins could be although it looks like they’re being eaten by something— perhaps flukes.

The lump near the Hearn looks like an abscess or tumor—- in any event I’m not sure what you can do for that piece. Some epsom salt for swelling:

How To Treat -
1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of aquarium water. Repeat only once, if necessary. Use only “USP” grade Epsom salt. (No scents, just pure)

OP
OP
Mrcote1

Mrcote1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, well I treated with prazipro but the wrasse buried in the sand for two days after I put the treatment in. Will the treatment not work on the fish while they are under the sand?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White-ish areas like that should be viewed with great suspicion. Hard to tell from the photos. Are they smooth or are they cotton-ish and puffy or cauliflower like. If the former, the suspicion is bacterial in nature and should be treated with a wide spectrum antibiotic as it is very close to the fish's eyes. Kanaplex, Furan2, Sulfaplex, NFG are all great for this application. If puffy or cauliflower like we generally suspect lympho as others have posted. Great food and pristine water conditions for this "virus" like disease that's generally harmless to the fish's health unless it involves the eyes or mouth.

OP
OP
Mrcote1

Mrcote1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
his fins never stop moving but from what I can tell the whitish marks on the fins are smooth. His large lumps on his body are also smooth. I started dosing metroplex into the tank as well as the feeding it with focus and garlic. I do not have kanaplex but I will order some right now.

OP
OP
Mrcote1

Mrcote1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have paraguard on hand. Should I just dose that straight into the tank? I'd hate to chase it around the tank with a net and stress it out and cause further issues to give it a bath in it

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the prevalence of bacterial infections in the hobby these days, I would go ahead and start treating with antibiotics. Spectrogram is a great one for use in conjunction with copper, the combination of Furan-2 and Kanaplex should work as well. Metroplex can also be added.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Mrcote1

Mrcote1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Have furan 2 and kanaplex ordered and on the way. That spectrogram stuff seems like it used to work very well. But only one site sells it online that I can see and it would not get here in a timely fashion. Definitely something I'll consider for the future to have on hand though. Thank you everyone!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back