Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lymphocystis

What You Need To Know:

* This is a virus that many fish carry for life. The white nodules (cauliflower-like growths) can grow both externally and internally; so symptoms are not always visible.
* There is no known cure for Lympho. However, feeding vitamin-enriched foods and maintaining pristine water conditions will help send the virus into remission.
* Lympho is rarely fatal; typically only older or weakened fish are at risk.

cauliflower.jpg
SyGfG3Z.jpg
Lymphocystis_Emperor_Angel_620px.jpg
AppZbvw.jpg

Additional Information

Lymphocystis appears as a white or beige colored wart-like growth that usually starts on the fins and spines and sometimes spreads to the body. It can also grow over internal organs, including a fish’s gills. Initially it may be small (looks like Ich), but then grows in size (which is how you know it’s not Ich). Lympho is a virus that many fish carry for life. Fortunately, it is rarely fatal or even harmful to the fish, and symptoms will come and go.

Treatment OptionsNo known cure or treatment exists. However, feeding vitamin-enriched foods and maintaining pristine water conditions may expedite the “going away” process. The lesions/nodules typically clear in 2-3 weeks, but can also take months in rare instances.

More detailed information: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa181

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very common and as you said, often not dangerous at all.

I did have a queen angel that almost had this grow over her mouth to the point she could not eat that I needed to scrape off once until it started to go away. She did recover and a few months later the giant cauliflower growths were gone from the face, gill, and fins. On rare occasions I have heard where this grew over their gills and suffocated them. This would seem to be very unlikely as the gills are always moving and this stuff grows slowly.

Last edited:

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see this in butterflies quite a bit. I try to explain to customers what it is and that with time, and good water/nutrition it will go away.... but they are always put off by how ugly it makes the fish look and leave it to me to fix them.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for this info!

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a CBB who suffered from when I initialy got him. it would come and go and it seemed I could feed him out of it. None o my other fishes ever got sick from it. after a certain point though i dont remember it showing up for over a year and I sold him when I downsized.

Hogan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, it's it worth treating or just wait it out?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, it's it worth treating or just wait it out?

There is no real treatment for lymph. You can keep the water clean, stress low and add vitamins to the food, but you won't be able to actively treat it.

seaplane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will cleaner shrimp try to pick it off, ( read this on a FB page , so it MUST be true) lol? I have a Royal Gramma with a huge one over an eye in QT , I want him out of there so I can get some inverts going in qt, would I be safe putting him in my sump?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will cleaner shrimp try to pick it off, ( read this on a FB page , so it MUST be true) lol? I have a Royal Gramma with a huge one over an eye in QT , I want him out of there so I can get some inverts going in qt, would I be safe putting him in my sump?

Assuming the gramma has been through QT already, then lympho shouldn't keep you from putting him in the display. It's not a deadly virus, just a virus. The cleaner shrimp might try, but I doubt he will be a whole lot of help.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cleaner shrimp might try, but I doubt he will be a whole lot of help.

Some will eat it off, some pull it off, some just ignore it. The ones that pull it off can sometimes be the worst, as they aren't too gentle and will often pull part of the fin off with the nodule. :eek: Then you have to worry about a potential infection. o_O

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything else that normally starts at the tip of the fins like this does?
I have a new captive bred Hippo that I think may have the start of this. Or I hope at least. I saw a bad case of this on a copper band at the store, though it was in a different tank.

If a white dot or a couple white dots show up on the absolute tip of a fin, is this the most likely cause? Assuming the fish is acting completely normal otherwise and hasn't even approached the cleaner shrimp in the tank...

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything else that normally starts at the tip of the fins like this does?
I have a new captive bred Hippo that I think may have the start of this. Or I hope at least. I saw a bad case of this on a copper band at the store, though it was in a different tank.

If a white dot or a couple white dots show up on the absolute tip of a fin, is this the most likely cause? Assuming the fish is acting completely normal otherwise and hasn't even approached the cleaner shrimp in the tank...

The best way to know if it is Lympho or Ich is to wait a week or so and if it drops off before then - it's likely ich... if it gets larger then it is likely lympho.

Back