Lymphocystis

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like so many fish have lymphoma lately. Exactly what is it, where does it come from, and how are the fish getting it? Do the fish in the ocean have it?

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually to answer my own questions; I found this really good link http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa181. It's from the University of Florida. It goes on to tell you which fish species are susceptible, signs of disease, what the nodes look like under a microscope, and a bunch of other excellent information. But it doesn't say if the fish in the ocean get it or not.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it doesn't say if the fish in the ocean get it or not.

Every fish disease originated in the ocean, and I've read that Lymphocystis is pretty wide spread. Its just that many fish never show symptoms or the virus remains dormant inside their body.

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I see a spot that looks like lymph but then it disappears in a few days or a week, could that still be lymph or something else?

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every fish disease originated in the ocean, and I've read that Lymphocystis is pretty wide spread. Its just that many fish never show symptoms or the virus remains dormant inside their body.

^^^
Until the fish stresses out.

When people stress out some take an anti anxiety pill. If only we could do the same for fish. I'm just glad that most fish won't die from lympho unless it's really severe. Thanks Humble. [emoji245]

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I see a spot that looks like lymph but then it disappears in a few days or a week, could that still be lymph or something else?

If it disappears within 4 days or less, it could be velvet. 7 days or less, it could be ich. Greater than 7 days is most likely Lympho or possibly a bacterial infection.

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it disappears within 4 days or less, it could be velvet. 7 days or less, it could be ich. Greater than 7 days is most likely Lympho or possibly a bacterial infection.

If the fish didn't have a spot at the store and none of my fish have spots. Does it make it more likely to be one thing more than another? The guy only had it at his store for 24 hours before I brought the fish home.

Also, since I don't see any fish with it in my tank except the one Hippo. Should I remove it before the spots drop off? Or should I let it be and see what happens? I don't know if its presence in my tank has already made it too late.
Should I see daily changes in the spot size if it is lympho?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish didn't have a spot at the store and none of my fish have spots. Does it make it more likely to be one thing more than another? The guy only had it at his store for 24 hours before I brought the fish home.

Also, since I don't see any fish with it in my tank except the one Hippo. Should I remove it before the spots drop off? Or should I let it be and see what happens? I don't know if its presence in my tank has already made it too late.
Should I see daily changes in the spot size if it is lympho?

Symptoms of Lympho can be somewhat erratic. Typically (but not always), the nodule starts out small and then grows in size before mysteriously just disappearing. My assumption is that the growth just falls off at some point.

Can you post photos of your Hippo showing the Lympho?

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Symptoms of Lympho can be somewhat erratic. Typically (but not always), the nodule starts out small and then grows in size before mysteriously just disappearing. My assumption is that the growth just falls off at some point.

Can you post photos of your Hippo showing the Lympho?

I will have to try for better pictures when I get home. It is difficult for me to get anything that is clear.

It has only had the white dots on its fin for a few days. So the jury is still out what it is.
If it is ich. And it didn't get it from my tank. Can i keep it from spreading into my tank if I remove the fish before the dots fall off?

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0810.JPG

This is the best picture I have right now.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Lympho, so I would just wait & see for now. If its still there after 7 days, it's Lympho. ;)

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be too troublesome to move him to QT? Better safe than sorry just in case. Move before spots fall off. Is he scratching at all or swimming in front of the power head?

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No scratching, no strange jerky moves. Just cruising around like any other Hippo. I even have a cleaner shrimp, the other Tang goes up to it (that tang is clean in appearance) but this Hippo hasn't bothered to go for a cleaning.

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be too troublesome to move him to QT? Better safe than sorry just in case. Move before spots fall off. Is he scratching at all or swimming in front of the power head?

I'm considering it. I didn't want to move it again if it wasn't going to do me any good for the other fish. That is why I asked about whether it would be worth doing. If I believe it didn't come from my tank and it is ich. Then is it possible to keep the ich or velvet from spreading to my tank if the fish hasn't dropped any of the spots yet?

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a really good question. It's possible that some of the spots already dropped off without you knowing about it. If that's the case your tank is probably already infected.

But like HF said, its just lympho if the spots have been there for 7 days or more and no new spots have shown up and you don't see any other signs.

Maybe just wait and see, but be ready to quarantine if need be. Have it ready.

Hope it's just lympho. [emoji886]

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if spots haven't dropped, which I am certain they haven't. Then the conservative thing is move him because the tank isn't contaminated until the spots drop.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if spots haven't dropped, which I am certain they haven't. Then the conservative thing is move him because the tank isn't contaminated until the spots drop.

If he has ich now, then the whole tank has it. Moving him now won't do anything because no matter what you'll have to move everybody. Wait and watch the spots. Be sure you are looking at the same spots to observe if they fall off or get bigger. It's a wait and see moment. I agree that it looks like lympho if that helps.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a lot like the oral herpes simplex virus in humans. Lol

Stress can bring it on and it can remain dormant for a long time. :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back