bigger return pump to get more flow

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently using a Cor20 as a return pump. It seems like no matter what i can't get more than 250gph flow. If I were to switch to a larger pump like a Vectra L2 which has a spec that is capable of 1000gph more than the Cor20, would I get more flow going through my system if I left everything else unchanged? Currently I'm using 1/2" plumbing which is all my tank was drilled for. I tried switching to 3/4 by going out and behind the tank, but that didn't improve my flow any, I'm guessing just to many twist and turns.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Q: How big is your tank (by volume)?
Q: How much flow are you aiming for?
Q: Why do you feel 250 gph is not quite enough?

You will be somewhat restricted by the diameter of your plumbing; although you can definetly make more water pass- the pressure in the pipes (and back pressure / head pressure on the pump) increase. With a more powerful pump, this can somewhat be resolved.

You can use this formula to calculate theoretical max flow rate based on pipe diameter. Bear in mind, this is through a straight pipe with no bends.

OP
OP
S

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a 125 gal tank. i'd like to get to around 500 gph to get more efficiency out of the uv system.

OP
OP
S

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the current 250gph is fine. i could run that forever and not be worried. Was just looking for a way to optimize the flow a little better.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the current 250gph is fine. i could run that forever and not be worried. Was just looking for a way to optimize the flow a little better.
How many % are you running your COR20? Under optimal conditions (and brand new and clean!) it has a nominated flow rate or 2,000 GPH if I remember correctly.

Are you using an Apex flow meter for measuring?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats pretty low flow if you ask me... i have a 90 gallon with 900gph turnover...
10x turnover?

Any special reason you're aiming for that much? :) Nothing right or wrong here, just curios as your thoughts behind it..

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently using a Cor20 as a return pump. It seems like no matter what i can't get more than 250gph flow. If I were to switch to a larger pump like a Vectra L2 which has a spec that is capable of 1000gph more than the Cor20, would I get more flow going through my system if I left everything else unchanged? Currently I'm using 1/2" plumbing which is all my tank was drilled for. I tried switching to 3/4 by going out and behind the tank, but that didn't improve my flow any, I'm guessing just to many twist and turns.
Is it rigid pipe or tubing? Using tubing can benefit flow by reducing the sharp angles usually seen in rigid. tube has a larger bend radius which helps flow. It is much easier to flow thru a gradual curve than a charp 90 deg bend.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does the tank have for drains? More flow from return requires the drains to have that much more capacity, and the emergency need to handle it also

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gives a nice flow, good suspension, temps stay better, dilutes my dosing quicker and prevents percipitation
Fair play! :)

I am aiming for 8-10x as well; I am predominantly using my refugium as nutrient control. Want as much water to pass through as possible.

I don't consider my return pump as part of my flow- but I assume it does contribute as well considering my plumbing diameter of 35mm ;)

Hats_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am aiming for 8-10x as well; I am predominantly using my refugium as nutrient control. Want as much water to pass through as possible.

I don't consider my return pump as part of my flow- but I assume it does contribute as well considering my plumbing diameter of 35mm ;)
Im actually thinking of getting a bigger pump so i can run some equipment (chiller an frag tank) of the same one pump to reduce clutter.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity , have you confirmed that the pump is actually putting out what you have it set at and thatbitbis not calibrated to a lower flow rate?

It's possible to "calibrate" the output of a COR pump, where you can set the maximum/minimum output, regardless of the setting on the controller or Apex.

For instance, you can set the max output to a rate that matches your drains capabilities, so when you set the pump to 100% power, it won't exceed that flow.

It probably not that, but it's definitely worth a look, just to be sure.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... and do the good old bucket test to verify that whichever flow meter you're using is actually accurate(-ish!)

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High flow thru refugium is not necessary as the plants cannot strip nutrients that fast. More water passing will not grow chaeto faster.
Eshoppes sumps bypass 90% of flow around refugium.
High flow can move critters and algae out of the refigium.
What is the reason for high flow thru refugium?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High flow thru refugium is not necessary as the plants cannot strip nutrients that fast. More water passing will not grow chaeto faster.
Eshoppes sumps bypass 90% of flow around refugium.
High flow can move critters and algae out of the refigium.
What is the reason for high flow thru refugium?
Interesting to know! :) I don't know the Eshoppes tanks; we don't get them over here in Europe..

Simply following the Triton recommendations of 10x turnover.. Works well for me; so no need to change a recipe that gives me reasonable success! Don't quite get to that though, more like 8x.

1696369450734.png

Thank you though; every day is a school day! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran triton for 5 years with 5x measured turnover. Just switched to all 4 reef. The powder is about 1/2 the cost of triton 4 liter powders. Frees up dosers for other stuff.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran triton for 5 years with 5x measured turnover. Just switched to all 4 reef. The powder is about 1/2 the cost of triton 4 liter powders. Frees up dosers for other stuff.
Good to know mate! :) Thanks.. I run A4R on my nano tanks with good results so far!

I will consider the flow rate; might reduce it a little; pumps are running 85% currently.

Thanks for the insight!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back