Biglurr's Desk Pico Tank Build Thread

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well now that I am working from home, with no return to the office in my new position, it is time to build a tank at my desk. Ive been going over how I want to build it for a while. My buddy continues to try to convince me to make it freshwater. He has a large reef and a small freshwater planted tank. I have a 175g reef but no freshwater tank. (Heres my build thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/biglurrs-175-build-with-pics.379567/)

I decided to stick with saltwater but keep it as simple as possible. I also decided to go with the planted theme. I wanted minimalist style in a tiny tank. I thought about making it a stand alone system with its own sump but decided that was not simple. That got complex quickly.

The plan is a 6gallon UNS tank. Its roughly 24x8x8. I am going to do a saltwater planted lagoon tank. I am going to run a closed loop for circulation and have a masterflex pump run at 3 g/hour from the big reefs sump. This means the tank will have a 100% water change every 2 hours. I am going to build an inline heater on the closed look to keep it from getting cold. Im currently working on the lighting, but it will consist of Phillips 5k 250w equivalent leds and a diy led for blues and uv.

I have the tank and drilled it for the closed loop and nano overflow for the 3g/hour water change. I built a mini desk stand for it to conceal the plumbing and allow me to run the plumbing through the bottom of the tank.

I build rocks out of some old rock I had kicking around. There are two islands, one is submerged and hollow underneath. The other is large and partially exposed. The rock scape is in my main display currently getting seeded.

For stocking, I plan on a Randals goby and shrimp pair. I want something else that will add more movement and swim in the water but struggling on that. I used to have a 6 line in a 7 gallon but it was a little too small and this tank wont have a lid so it will most likely end up on the floor. I also plan on having some hermit and an emerald crab. I am trying to stick to shallow lagoon animals.

I have 4 stalks of Mangroves that I am going to have growing in the tank and I plan on planting some sea grass and other macros along with some softy polyps for color.

Let me know your thoughts and what you think would be good additions to the tank.

OP
OP
B

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20200724_175149.jpg

MY haul from trading in coral at the lfs....
IMG_20200729_223223.jpg

Drilling the closed loop and overflow
IMG_20200729_223229.jpg

Seeding the rock in the main display of the 175.

M

Max_nano

View Badges
Will you send the water back to the display? I’m guessing you will, but I’ve always like the idea of setting up AWC for a large tank and feeding the ‘waste’ water to a softie/zoa tank

OP
OP
B

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the masterflex will pull water from the sump in the basement and push it up to the nano. I will have a 1/4" durso overflow hidden in the rocks that will flow down to the sump in the basement. The large system has 5g a day AWC. I figured it would be easier to drain the nano back into the sump. If i had the water from the water change go into the nano it would get complex and things like evap would become an issue in the nano. Plus the sump is in the basement and my desk is on the 2nd floor so I needed a peristaltic pump to get the water up to the 2nd floor. 3 gallons an hour is about the max you want to drive a masterflex and keep the noise and wear to a minimum.

I could have the durso dump into the house drain and run the masterflex for 2 hours every day but like i said, evap could become an issue in the nano with out an ato and no water changing for 22 hours. Also some times i shut down the AWC. I do this when I make new salt water and when the nutrients in the main system get too low. In those times, the nano would get no new water for a few days. I make new water every 2 weeks and the AWC is down for 2-3 days when making the new water.

OP
OP
B

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the tank on the stand I made. Plumbing parts should be coming in today.
IMG_20200731_074811.jpg

OP
OP
B

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is plumbed and running. I still have to build the manifold on the closed loop. That will contain a 75W heater, APEX temp probe, and the feed line from the master flex. This will all be housed under my desk. The water is sucked through a strainer on the left side. It will then flow through the manifold. (temp probe, water inlet, heater) then it returns back to the display via a Jebao DCT 4000 and a VCA Random Flow Generator. I am still waiting for the heater, and a bunch of LED supplies to add some blue supplement to the one 5k bulb. But for now the tank is wet and looking good.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back