Simple desk conversion input.

MrBrbsmoke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I get started,apologies for formatting since I'm on my phone.

So today my wife's work was throwing out these and by some divine luck, her boss asked if I wanted to do something with them.

Currently I was putting together a list of materials and costs for two frag tanks, and now I feel obligated to not only take these(I already did) but convert them into stands. My only concern is weight. Since it would be a frag tank I could in theory make it low to try and reduce the load.

These are two computer desks, I plan on ripping out the keyboard pullout, removing the flimsy shelf under that and getting rid of the wheels that I am positive will just ruin my floors and not be functional. Also, either removing the overhang top shelf or drilling it to hold up a light. I feel like I got a nice free win here, I want to believe the metal will hold up but I am paranoid that I will regret not bracing it a little.

If anyone has ever converted a desk like these before or sees any potential problems down the line, any input would be nice.

Just to compile. Two desks I want to convert, I'm afraid they may not take the weight of a frag tank, though they seem sturdy enough. Also any creative input is always fun and appreciated.
Screenshot_20240412-005735_Gallery.jpg

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I get started,apologies for formatting since I'm on my phone.

So today my wife's work was throwing out these and by some divine luck, her boss asked if I wanted to do something with them.

Currently I was putting together a list of materials and costs for two frag tanks, and now I feel obligated to not only take these(I already did) but convert them into stands. My only concern is weight. Since it would be a frag tank I could in theory make it low to try and reduce the load.

These are two computer desks, I plan on ripping out the keyboard pullout, removing the flimsy shelf under that and getting rid of the wheels that I am positive will just ruin my floors and not be functional. Also, either removing the overhang top shelf or drilling it to hold up a light. I feel like I got a nice free win here, I want to believe the metal will hold up but I am paranoid that I will regret not bracing it a little.

If anyone has ever converted a desk like these before or sees any potential problems down the line, any input would be nice.

Just to compile. Two desks I want to convert, I'm afraid they may not take the weight of a frag tank, though they seem sturdy enough. Also any creative input is always fun and appreciated.
Screenshot_20240412-005735_Gallery.jpg
Personally, I wouldnt trust those with more than 50 lbs on them. I could see the legs racking fairly easily. I would at a minimum brace them lengthwise. But, really, for the amount of modification id do on them to feel comfortable with putting a couple hundred pounds of live weight on them id be better off just building something new.

Id build something cool with those but probably not anything aquarium related.

OP
OP
MrBrbsmoke

MrBrbsmoke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't wobble with 70kg on it until it was shoved a bit hard but the wheels were still on. I think I'll just do a simple 2x6 reinforcement with room to build cabinet doors on the front and test it for a few days with 200kg. The frag tank I'll probably build to put on won't be much more than 125kg maybe 130kg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back