Bimaculatus Anthias

RobMcC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bimac is my favorite pseudoanthias. Striking in appearance and doesn’t bicker within the group like Bartlett or Lytetail. I have found the males to not be very enduring though. When my male dies and a female makes the switch, it doesn’t last all that long.
Interesting. I’ve had 5 bimacs for about 4 years. - all bought as females. One turned male after about a year and has been fine since. Probably the most peaceful anthias I’ve owned, and maybe hardiest (maybe ventralis are equally hardy) and I’ve had many over the years. Smithvanzii, flavoguttatus, ventralis, Lori, dispar, Randall’s, pasaculus, pulcherimmus and Tuka all of which have been okay, but still pick each other off or are generally not very hardy. Flavoguttatus are reasonably hardy, if you can source healthy ones, and the males are pretty spectacular. The only truly vicious ones I’ve had are parvirostris. I’d also avoid the really small anthias that is basically an orange Luzonicthys bait fish (I forget which species I’ve had, but you’ll be lucky to even get them home and I bag them alive, which is a shame as a shoal in big tank would look cool). Here’s my make.
C63495EC-1341-4A7D-82A8-828AC305A7E9.jpeg

Last edited:

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I’ve had 5 bimacs for about 4 years. - all bought as females. One turned male after about a year and has been fine since. Probably the most peaceful anthias I’ve owned, and maybe hardiest (maybe ventralis are equally hardy) and I’ve had many over the years. Smithvanzii, flavoguttatus, ventralis, Lori, dispar, Randall’s, pasaculus, pulcherimmus and Tuka all of which have been okay, but still pick each other off or are generally not very hardy. Flavoguttatus are reasonably hardy, if you can source healthy ones, and the males are pretty spectacular. The only truly vicious ones I’ve had are parvirostris. I’d also avoid the really small anthias that is basically an orange Luzonicthys bait fish (I forget which species I’ve had, but you’ll be lucky to even get them home and I bag them alive, which is a shame as a shoal in big tank would look cool). Here’s my make.
C63495EC-1341-4A7D-82A8-828AC305A7E9.jpeg
That looks like a male bimac to me. Did you say it took an entire year to transition from female?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back