Bio Media

Goodersgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is the correct area to post this question. ;) I will soon be setting up a new Red Sea Max Nano 20gal. I plan to have a small amount of livestock with SPS and Softy mix.
I will use a Tunze 9001 dc Skimmer along with a plan to use BioHome Ultimate filter media and was wondering on quantity/weight. I have 2 kilos available but think that's too much. How much should I use? I don't want to strip out too much do I?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 kilograms is probably too much, yes. You don't have a lot of room to work with in the AIO sump at the back, so you'll probably be limited to placing it in the first chamber under the filter sock and skimmer. I would probably load it in two black Red Sea media bags (leave some room, ie: don't overfill them) and place these somewhat flat on the bottom of your AIO chamber (right under "7" and along the bottom up to the partition for "4").

MAX-NANO-FILTRATION1.png

OP
OP
Goodersgold

Goodersgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 kilograms is probably too much, yes. You don't have a lot of room to work with in the AIO sump at the back, so you'll probably be limited to placing it in the first chamber under the filter sock and skimmer. I would probably load it in two black Red Sea media bags (leave some room, ie: don't overfill them) and place these somewhat flat on the bottom of your AIO chamber (right under "7" and along the bottom up to the partition for "4").

MAX-NANO-FILTRATION1.png
Hi blaxun, going to change out the skimmer as the Red Sea supplied unit is huge, so the Tunze will give me more room.

OP
OP
Goodersgold

Goodersgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not be sure you need any media if you have live rock and sand.
Thanks Randy, I will not be using live rock, live sand yes. What is your opinion on placing media bags on top of the heater, should this be avoided at all costs?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy, I will not be using live rock, live sand yes. What is your opinion on placing media bags on top of the heater, should this be avoided at all costs?

On top of means touching it? I’d avoid that.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back