Bio-pellet reactor feed into filter roller?

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So set up a bio-pellet reactor to try to drop nitrates a little. I have draining into the filter roller because i read some slim can be produced. Good idea?

I could have feed into the skimmer. But after the filter roller this way it hits the skimmer or gets recirculated back into the filter roller or misses the skimmer and heads to the refugium

Better way to set this up?

I have two manifolds. Only using one. Water goes through carbon, then gfo, then bio pellets. I could have a separate line for any of the above...

Tinkering with this stuff as i want experience with gfo and bio pellets before i put water in a much larger system...

20210929_230840.jpg

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you could as long as the skimmer is really close to the roller. Bacteria from the bio pellets that end up in the filter, would just be rolled out anyways. As long most/all the water gets filtered goes into the skimmer, you are fine.

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you could as long as the skimmer is really close to the roller. Bacteria from the bio pellets that end up in the filter, would just be rolled out anyways. As long most/all the water gets filtered goes into the skimmer, you are fine.
Cool. I can route the outlet to the skimmer or to the filter. My thought was to take some of the load off the skimmer with the filter roller by routing it there. Maybe the slim would help the filter roller pick up even smaller/finer particulate matter? I haven't read of anyone explicitly doing this though, so maybe it's a bad idea. Everyone seems to route to the skimmer. The skimmer is definitely picking up more gunk, although its more wet now. Nitrates have dropped pretty shortly after adding the biopellets and adding small amounts of vodka from doser.

I have a much smaller amount of biopellets than recommended and then add a small amount of vodka. I suppose i could do either and not both, but i thought i would try a base amount of bio pellets and then tweak the nitrate level with vodka additions that more easily controllable.

Running both a bad idea?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back