Bio pellet reactor

Brdman99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a brs bio pellets reactor and didn’t realize that it only held 1.5 cups of pellets. My tank is 150 gallons and will need to use three cups. My question is since we don’t want to completely take all the nitrates away will I still see a drop in the nitrates since I am only using half the pellets. My nitrates are above 75 ppm

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a brs bio pellets reactor and didn’t realize that it only held 1.5 cups of pellets. My tank is 150 gallons and will need to use three cups. My question is since we don’t want to completely take all the nitrates away will I still see a drop in the nitrates since I am only using half the pellets. My nitrates are above 75 ppm
I imagine you will see a drop in NO3. I have heard that bio pellets take awhile to get started because only certain bacteria eat the polymer. So, it is a matter of waiting to see if we are correct.

OP
OP
Brdman99

Brdman99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagine you will see a drop in NO3. I have heard that bio pellets take awhile to get started because only certain bacteria eat the polymer. So, it is a matter of waiting to see if we are correct.
I knew it would take a while but I just didn’t want to waist my time if only using half the dose wouldn’t drop the nitrates

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It believe it will drop the nitrates to some degree. But if you haven’t opened it yet, why not return it and buy one that is an appropriate size.

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that feeling! Also consider other brands. I use the BRS media reactor for other things but I have a Accel Aquatics for my biopellet reactor. It works very well as long as you remove the filter at the top. Otherwise it keeps getting clogged.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running bio pellets if you run it with vibrant it will drop your nitrates do not let your phosphates bottom out . You will end up with dinos. Get a bottle of neophos and keep phosphates up .

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back