Bio Pellets output thru 5 micron string filter.

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if I could take the output from my Bio Pellet reactors and run it through a 5 micron string wound filter instead of directing it through my skimmer. I already have the clear housing and string wound filter so no additional equipment will be needed. I just want to keep my skimmer working on the tank water instead of just the Bio Pellet output. My Bio Pellet output is approx 400 GPH to get a good tumble action and my skimmer (Octo 150SSS) only runs at 300 gph. That means it is now dedicated to just the Bio Pellet reactor......?????

Just thinking out loud.

Thanks

Troy

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure.
Use the reactor for water that misses the reactor.

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 120r octopus bio churn that the PVC goes into the sump right at the opening of my protein skimmer instead of connecting to the skimmer. And the skimmer draws it in and works great.

OP
OP
TroyClark

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 120r octopus bio churn that the PVC goes into the sump right at the opening of my protein skimmer instead of connecting to the skimmer. And the skimmer draws it in and works great.
Thats what I am currently doing except my Reactor outputs 400 GPH and the Skimmer only intakes 300 GPH. So, all the Reactor output isn't getting skimmed and non of the actual tank water is getting skimmed, just the Reactor output. MIght have to invest in an external hang on skimmer for just the Reactor output.

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I am currently doing except my Reactor outputs 400 GPH and the Skimmer only intakes 300 GPH. So, all the Reactor output isn't getting skimmed and non of the actual tank water is getting skimmed, just the Reactor output. MIght have to invest in an external hang on skimmer for just the Reactor output.
Seems like more work and extra pumps, cant you buy a bigger protein skimmer so you only have just one? the hang on skimmers i have used on my smaller tanks i had in the past and you can get an overflow real fast especially if you have a power outage and that would be a smelly mess on the floor. Just a thought...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%

Back