Bio Reactor / Water Starting to Cloud / Water Change or Chill?

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably had my Bio Reactor for 3 months or so. I also have UV, Carbon Reactor and use Ozone on occasion with an ORP Probe (ORP is at 404 currently). I've been limiting water changes to get the bacteria going and I'm finally noticing some cloudiness.

Should I do a water change or let it chill for a bit?

I've noticed the skimmer has been collecting more than usual this week also.

Very Clear - 3 weeks ago

Slightly Cloudy - Today

image0 (1).jpeg IMG_9386.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It kinda looked like the Sohal tang is breathing rapidly in the second video?

I would be concerned about low oxygen and a water change may help for awhile. What is the bioreactor supposed to be doing and what bacteria are you trying to build up?

If I was trying to build bacteria or microbes in general I would not be running a UV. How long has the tank been running, how much are you feeding all those fishes?

Sorry, lots of questions and I have another meeting to attend.

OP
OP
0MNSH1ZLLC

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It kinda looked like the Sohal tang is breathing rapidly in the second video?

I would be concerned about low oxygen and a water change may help for awhile. What is the bioreactor supposed to be doing and what bacteria are you trying to build up?

If I was trying to build bacteria or microbes in general I would not be running a UV. How long has the tank been running, how much are you feeding all those fishes?

Sorry, lots of questions and I have another meeting to attend.

I've definitely considered that the UVs and bio-reactor might be counteracting each other, but the tank has been ultra-clear for months, so I wasn't keen on altering anything.

Previously, I had been changing the water once a week, at about 10%-20%. This month, I've only done one 10% change to see if I can boost the bio-reactor's effectiveness. I plan to test the water this afternoon after work.

A few months ago, when I went on vacation, the skimmer clogged. I had to disassemble it multiple times before it began to function properly again. This mishap caused a spike in nitrates and phosphates, leading to the loss of three fish. I then got the bio-reactor to lower the nitrates and phosphates without having to change the water constantly.

I tested the phosphate levels last week, and they were at 0.7; I believe they peaked at around 2.0 after the skimmer malfunctioned. Thankfully, I haven't experienced any algae problems since the initial cycling, so there aren't any major concerns there. However, I have noticed the bio-pellet film is more visible on the tank now.

I started using some new pellets this week, which might be high in nutrients. My feeding routine is minimal: I either chop up two large shrimp or a small portion of tilapia daily, supplemented with some pellets and nori in between. The ORP remains at 404, but I'll clean the probe to see if that makes a difference.

As for today, the tank seems alright, but it lacks the crystal-clear appearance it had a month ago. I'm also considering that it might be time to change the carbon.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back