biocube 14 1 yr anniversary

jtmojo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally decided to post my tank, and what better time than its one year anniversary. First off this whole adventure is thanks to my uncle, the owner of Encinitas tropical fish, he was able to hook me up with wholesale prices making this hobby possible; while he is moving on from the aquarium trade, none of this would have happened without him. This is my first reef tank and coupled with college it has been through its fair share of ups and downs.
The tank started out as a 14 gallon oceanic biocube; about six months ago I took off the rim, and removed the hood in favor of a jbj unibody. It has the biocube protein skimmer, which needs to be replaced. Aside from that, I took out about half the bioballs and replaced them with chemi-clean and a phosphorous absorber. After taking off the hood I had too much evaporation to keep up with and I added an ATO system to keep up with it.
As far as live stock goes, it is a mixture of stuff I brought from my uncles shop down south and rescues from the LFS up here in northern California. My tank was going through some alkalinity swings about two months ago due to switching to a new salt, so some of my corals took a turn for the worse but since I have started dosing daily and everything is starting to look good. please excuse the potato-quality phone pictures and thanks for taking a look, any suggestions or comments are always welcome.
~ Justin ~
IMG_0774.jpg
randy and randall.jpg
IMG_0759.jpg
IMG_0763.jpg
IMG_0654.jpg

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Justin, you have a lot of my 'favorite things' in your tank. I am a fan of pistol shrimp and their symbiotic relationships. Mine is paired with a curlyque anemone. I also love clams and coco worms. What kind of clam is yours? It is beautiful. I have a blue crocea. I have had coco worms but now all I have is its empty tube. It makes a good seahorse hitch though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back