Biocube 16 mods

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 14g bio cube and I pulled the lid and made it rimless. Making it rimless was fairly easy and looks great. I also cut down the first baffle in the back to lower the water leave a little so when the magnet is move it doesn’t splash as much if any water out.

I left the rim on mine. Cut some eggcrate to size to keep the fishies in and built a light stand from 3/8"x 1/2" aluminum u-tube from HD, drilled/tapped the aluminum and used nylon bolts to hold it all together, then painted it black. Not the most elegant, but the wife wouldn't let me hang the light. ;Blackeye

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralife techs are always available to take a phone call and I think many are also reefers. Yeah, I replaced my fan twice with the new units Coralife sent and no improvement. Just a cheap computer fan.

I had GREAT customer service from Coralife! I broke the impeller shaft on the stock pump, emailed them and instead of sending me a new shaft, they sent me a whole new pump free of charge!! I've since upgraded to an MJ900 but still use the Coralife pump for doing water changes. I just wish they had made the 1st chamber floor baffle removable. the chamber under it is a detritus magnet, and there's no good way to clean it.

Rookie J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I left the rim on mine. Cut some eggcrate to size to keep the fishies in and built a light stand from 3/8"x 1/2" aluminum u-tube from HD, drilled/tapped the aluminum and used nylon bolts to hold it all together, then painted it black. Not the most elegant, but the wife wouldn't let me hang the light. ;Blackeye

Nice. Do you have pictures of it. Would like to check it out.

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 14g bio cube and I pulled the lid and made it rimless. Making it rimless was fairly easy and looks great. I also cut down the first baffle in the back to lower the water leave a little so when the magnet is move it doesn’t splash as much if any water out.
008540a545fd13488cf9b864f1b13f7f.jpg
I recognize this biocube!

FTLTim954

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I'll have to check out the uv sterilizer as well! Does the Kessils fit right in the lid, or how did you do that?
I took the lid off and then mounted the gooseneck to the back. Now I am debating switching lights to a prime or a XR 15 pro

TRACEY R LEONARD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really like to know the times to set my lights up on my biocube 16. Everything else seems to being going great so far but i have heard that the lighting is very important process. Cannot find anything on the times to set up for the east coast.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really like to know the times to set my lights up on my biocube 16. Everything else seems to being going great so far but i have heard that the lighting is very important process. Cannot find anything on the times to set up for the east coast.
Your light schedule should be based on types of coral you have; this is a general schedule I used a while ago for softies and several types of lps (e.g., lobos, trachys, acans)
in a Biocube 32. Assume the 16 has same light settings:
Channel 1 10:00 - 19:00 Ramp Up 9:00
Channel 2 9:30 - 19:00
Channel 3 9:00 - 20:00 Lights Off 9:00
I believe the default ramp time was one hour and that is reflected in the above 12 hour schedule.

Good luck

TRACEY R LEONARD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought the biocube 16 gal and set everything up and I am trying to figure out the lighting system. I cannot find anything on the times needed to actually imitate the sunrise and sunset for my lighting. Can someone help me with this

TRACEY R LEONARD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your light schedule should be based on types of coral you have; this is a general schedule I used a while ago for softies and several types of lps (e.g., lobos, trachys, acans)
in a Biocube 32. Assume the 16 has same light settings:
Channel 1 10:00 - 19:00 Ramp Up 9:00
Channel 2 9:30 - 19:00
Channel 3 9:00 - 20:00 Lights Off 9:00
I believe the default ramp time was one hour and that is reflected in the above 12 hour schedule.

Good luck
Thank you so much I am looking forward to getting these lights working on a schedule

Last edited:

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Than you so much I am looking forward to getting these lights working on a schedule
There may be a YouTube video about setting times, and above schedule provides a one hour ramp up/ramp down which gives fish, etc. time to adjust. Just enter the times shown and it should work for you and then you can always modify them based on your preferences.

TRACEY R LEONARD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems to be the only video available for lighting. I am going to program mine with the times that you gave me earlier when I get home. Thank you for your help

kattick87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there!

I also own a BioCube 16. I run a very similar schedule as to what Mike suggested.

I have soft corals and LPS. They are doing pretty well. Do let us know how it goes once you get it going!

Thanks,
Krish

TRACEY R LEONARD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there!

I also own a BioCube 16. I run a very similar schedule as to what Mike suggested.

I have soft corals and LPS. They are doing pretty well. Do let us know how it goes once you get it going!

Thanks,
Krish
I reprogrammed the lights last night and they worked well. I will stick with that schedule. Thank you I sure will

TRACEY R LEONARD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what Reef2Reef is all about; hobbyists helping other hobbyists

Mikedawg my clown fish are swimming around like they are crazy, flying through the tank is that normal for them. I checked all my chemicals they are as followed
PH 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 0
Saltwater 1.024

Temp 77
and I replaced the stock filter last night and put the media in the rack. Just want to make sure I am on the right track and my fish are happy and not stressed out.

saltwater tank.jpg

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mikedawg my clown fish are swimming around like they are crazy, flying through the tank is that normal for them. I checked all my chemicals they are as followed
PH 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 0
Saltwater 1.024

Temp 77
and I replaced the stock filter last night and put the media in the rack. Just want to make sure I am on the right track and my fish are happy and not stressed out.

saltwater tank.jpg
Seems like you have two very happy clown fish; good job! Here's a seminal article about water chemistry that you might find useful: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back