BioCube 29 Lighting [LEDs]

pumarjr

Reef-a-Holic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the schematic i made, is this too much light for a BioCube 29? all will be cree xr-e blubs with 80 degree optics.

layoutnl.th.png
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

jtl2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dimmable? what current are you driving them? I'm running 48 without optics on a 46 bow and have them dimmed down quite a bit.

John

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I M ONLY USING 24 ON a red sea max and have to turn them down some. using 2 mean well eln 60 - 48 drivers. using xre's and xpg's

OP
OP
pumarjr

pumarjr

Reef-a-Holic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mojo, I was actually hoping to see more from your build, but anyways, 24 is enough? I have never seen these setups in person only on the net and wasn't sure about the amount, this is why I came here to ask. I'm going to build it and if you guys say that 24 can support a reef setup, I will trust in your opinions.

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ill am getting ready to take pictures now actually. and I have new fans coming so I ll be taking it apart and taking more pictures then. I am updating the timer too. I hope.

Ill take some here in a few minutes.

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a lot of LEDs for a nano. Also consider that you can drive 12 (sometimes 13) LEDs per Meanwell 60-48 driver when you connect them in series (a single string w/o any branches). With 32 LEDs, you'll have to put some in parallel and would be underdriving the ones in parallel by quite a bit. That's not a bad thing, but it's not exactly cost-effective either.

As others have suggested, 24 LEDs on two meanwells will make far more sense for you. It's one less driver to buy, one less plug to use, and you'll be able to drive them up to their full current. It will be more than enough for SPS.

Also, considering how low the heatsink is over the water, you'll have to space each LED closely to the next in order to avoid a strong blue/white streaking effect. I've done this on my Biocube 14 and am speaking from experience. No sense in putting the LEDs close to the edge of the tank either IMO.

reefpeeper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 24 over my 29 biocube and it is awsome. mine are not dimmable and sps are doing better than ever. also do not use optics they are not needed. leds are too close to the water surface.

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no optics on mine either. I tried the 80 degree optics and didnt like it.

OP
OP
pumarjr

pumarjr

Reef-a-Holic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up purchasing 24 cree xr-e leds. with a 1 to 1 ratio. I can't wait for them to arrive.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 74 46.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back