Biocube 29 sump refugium questions... Sand or no sand. Help!!

Fishinfool

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I modded my second chamber sump for a refugium but don't know what people are using in it. Is it possible to have sand in there?? Right now I have the grate still installed with a poly filter covering it and minimal LR carefully stacked on top to ensure good flow. I used a 9 watt CFL under cabinet light mounted in a 2 gang electricial cut in box with plexiglass screwed on top. Then I scraped the back of the tank and velcroed everything together. Iam going to get chaeto today and need to know if I need sand as well or if it is even possible to put sand in there. Any advice?? Here are pictures of the refugium and light.Pictures by J662777 - Photobucket

thanks,
Jason

fenderguy1

Prop/Shipping Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have live rock and cheato in my 2nd chamber no sand. This worm you describe in the pic's should be removed asap. Sounds like a eunicid worm , Worm Hitch Hikers scroll down to eunicid and see if thats what you have.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 41 27.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 32 21.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 35 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 39 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back