BioCube 29 update

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since last post have added an Aquamaxx HOB-1 skimmer and an InTank Media rack with Purigen and Chemical-Pure elite.

The water in 2 days is spotless. Real impressed. The skimmer even though not broken in has collected all kinds of crap on the neck.

Livestock is just a pair of clowns though I have a purple firefish, and bi-color blenny in QT. I also have a Catalina goby but being stupid I didn't read the temperature requirements. It appears to be doing well, though I have expectations that it will die. At which time, will get a yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp along with a pink-streaks wrasse. That will end the fish stocking.

Corals so far are a torch, it's white with a fluorescent green belly where the thinkers come out. Green zoanthids and some fluorescent green polyps. All appear to be doing well. The zoanthids I had high up but they lost all their color under the AI Prime. Since I moved them back to the sand, the color has returned.

Would like to get an anemone but not sure about that and some corals that I can put higher up on the rocks which will crave and want the bright Prime Light.

be337deb10cd615e62c22ccb51344efc.jpg

1a13874f3cc2c0948fcac6d2383c9d0f.jpg

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it going to a bucket for the time being. Once it beaks in, will swap it around.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have noticed that my skimmer cup slides down. Would it be as simple as putting some teflon tape just above where the "band" is so the cup can't slide deeper causing a wetter skim (not that mine is skimming yet).

chessplayer86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my HOB is a reef octopus and it has a small plastic tightenning screw on the cup. I think you can reproduce the same effect.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like this morning, the cup had slid down almost 1" deeper into the skimmer than what it was last night when I went to bed.

I really need to figure out how to fix this. I'll have to call marine depot if I get a chance here at work.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a hard time finding right placement for the koralia 240's. Thinking about the jebao rw-4. Think one on pulsing mode would suffice, but would 2 on alternating pulses be better for a more random flow? I just worry that it would be too much, even on lowest setting

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up 3 new coral tonight...

Green and red montipora frags, metallic green hammer, and a redlordhowensis frag. I'll get pictures after they open back up and are doing well. I wasn't happy with the placement of two other corals so I moved them in my tank. I feel like I'm getting a bit of paly toxin poisoning... I feel like my body was dipped in acetone! Yes I was wearing gloves but I got water inside them :(

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you ever find on placement of your Koralias pdiehm. Sorry I wasn't much help. I don't have much experience in that arena.

I have an rw-4 on the way. Used Amazon points and it cost me like $18 and change. Figure using that on lowest setting pulse will be good.

My anemone keeps moving but into areas that I can really access (nor the clowns for the most part). He is anti-social

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 67 44.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 22 14.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back