Biocube 32 and pH confusion

sirmoog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm a hobbiest from way back, recently got back into it with the Biocube 32. All was well, fully cycled, no nitrite or nitrate levels, but my pH is low. Test strips read at 7.0 or lower, and a pH meter is reading even lower. Total alkalinity around 80. My Biocube set up is the standard pump, Aquaclear foam in chamber 1, carbon media, Chemi-pure Blue, Reef interest biopellets, and Marine pure gems in chamber 2, and a heater in chamber 3. This was the set up recommended by the retailer.
From what I read, low pH is due to poor CO2 exchange at the surface. Does this have anything to do with the tight fitting of the Biocube lid? Mine is in my finished basement. While I don't have windows, the basement is part of our central HVAC system, and we don't have a lot of people down there exhaling.
I have hermit crabs, snails, and 2 anemones still living in the tank, but I have no idea how.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be the lid and that it's in your basement. Think CO2 is just a tad heavier than O2.

No offense:
I don't trust test strips for any of our parameters.

Test with a ph meter that uses a calibration solution.

Make sure that your alkalinity is not on the low side either.

Randy's Guidance:

Take a cup of your display water outside. Use an air pump with an airstone for about 45 - 60 minutes. Bring it back inside and test again. If it rises then it is trapped in CO2.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's extremely unlikely the pH is 7.0 or lower unless there's little alkalinity. That should be measured with a test kit.

I wouldn't bother measuring pH unless you do it with a freshly calibrated pH meter.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 73 44.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.2%
Back