OP
OP
Barry_Cuda

Barry_Cuda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fuge light hung behind chamber #2. InTank fuge basket should be delivered today or tomorrow.
20181115_134455.jpg

OP
OP
Barry_Cuda

Barry_Cuda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still getting some diatoms, although it's more of a dusting than a full-blown bloom. Spotted some amphipods on the rocks this afternoon as well. Currently have 2x scarlet hermits, 3x trochus snails, a small GSP colony (on its own rock island) and a frag of zoas. May well go down to the LFS tomorrow and pick up a hammer frag and/or a torch. Still no fish, as the fish QT is being stubborn about completing its cycle.

OP
OP
Barry_Cuda

Barry_Cuda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installed the Steve's LEDs uograde yesterday. I like the color balance a lot more than the stock lighting, to say nothing of the increase in intensity. Running lights at about 30% for the time being per their instructions. I decided a full tank shot was in order :D
20190126_120307.jpg

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installed the Steve's LEDs uograde yesterday. I like the color balance a lot more than the stock lighting, to say nothing of the increase in intensity. Running lights at about 30% for the time being per their instructions. I decided a full tank shot was in order :D
20190126_120307.jpg
Looks good! I almost got Steve’s LEDs back when I was setting up my biocube, glad you like them.

OP
OP
Barry_Cuda

Barry_Cuda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progressing nicely! definitely stronger and better color balance then the stock lighting.
Oh, yes. It's a huge improvement. It's taking a little getting used to, as I've been running under the stock lights for all 3 months that the tank has been up, but overall the tank looks better and the corals' colors are much more evident under the upgraded lights.
What fuge light did you end up going with?
I bought an inexpensive LED grow light off of Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LX1EO3W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08__o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
*Something* is definitely a bit off in the fuge, as my chaeto seems to be breaking down and slowly turning into brown slime, but I think that's most likely because nutrients bottomed out and it had nothing to live on. I'm feeding more heavily in hopes of establishing measurable nitrate and phosphate readings again, and hoping that will help.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, yes. It's a huge improvement. It's taking a little getting used to, as I've been running under the stock lights for all 3 months that the tank has been up, but overall the tank looks better and the corals' colors are much more evident under the upgraded lights.

I bought an inexpensive LED grow light off of Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LX1EO3W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08__o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
*Something* is definitely a bit off in the fuge, as my chaeto seems to be breaking down and slowly turning into brown slime, but I think that's most likely because nutrients bottomed out and it had nothing to live on. I'm feeding more heavily in hopes of establishing measurable nitrate and phosphate readings again, and hoping that will help.
Yea my biocube won’t grow chaeto even with a h80. I have the same setup, inTank media and fuge on that tank. Better off with some chemipure elite down the road or something else to cut nitrates and phosphates.

OP
OP
Barry_Cuda

Barry_Cuda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! I almost got Steve’s LEDs back when I was setting up my biocube, glad you like them.
I definitely have nothing but good things to say about them so far. The installation was simple... hardest part was just the physical effort of using the provided wire saw to cut out the ventilation louvers in the hood. Definitely recommend work gloves for this. I'm waiting to see how my corals respond. So far everything looks happy, although my Duncan is a little bit annoyed and isn't fully extended. It's already pretty low in the tank, but if it doesn't extend back out in the next couple days I might move it.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely have nothing but good things to say about them so far. The installation was simple... hardest part was just the physical effort of using the provided wire saw to cut out the ventilation louvers in the hood. Definitely recommend work gloves for this. I'm waiting to see how my corals respond. So far everything looks happy, although my Duncan is a little bit annoyed and isn't fully extended. It's already pretty low in the tank, but if it doesn't extend back out in the next couple days I might move it.

Ventilation louvers? Do you have the 32? I didn't see anything in the instructions on that? Interesting, I will have to go back and re-read.

OP
OP
Barry_Cuda

Barry_Cuda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ventilation louvers? Do you have the 32? I didn't see anything in the instructions on that? Interesting, I will have to go back and re-read.
Yes, I have the 32. The upgrade unit apparently generates a lot more heat and it has a much bigger fan. They have you cut several of the ventilation louvers out for increased airflow.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have the 32. The upgrade unit apparently generates a lot more heat and it has a much bigger fan. They have you cut several of the ventilation louvers out for increased airflow.
They must have come out with something new since we bought. Nothing in our instructions even talk about it. Oh well, still great lights!

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They must have come out with something new since we bought. Nothing in our instructions even talk about it. Oh well, still great lights!
Same here. Never any mention of cutting louvers though i imagine it could help. I have to prop my hood open a couple inches with a small 4” fan to keep temps under 82 in summer months. Otherwise im also big fan of Steve’s

Tanks lookingquite nice @Barry_Cuda

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey at @Barry_Cuda, if your instructions are handy can you take a pic of the steps? Might have to do a mod on the hood. :D

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%

Back