Biocube 32 LED BEWARE (blew up, less than 1 month old)

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All, I come to you with some very bad news... I purchased a 32G Biocube LED about 3 weeks ago. On saturday night we were sitting on the couch, and heard a loud "pop!".... I looked over to see the entire front right corner of the tank spraying water out. The side split from top to bottom, spraying water everywhere (all over the couch, floor, etc.).

In the end, thousands of dollars worth of coral, rock, sand, fish and other livestock are dead. Plus, the couch and other parts of the home are ruined and need to be replaced. This has been devastating, to say the least. Coralife (Aka "central") has been contacted, and they are "reviewing" the pictures and videos to assess how "they want to handle" the situation. Our homeowner's insurance has also been contacted, unfortunately, there is a $1,000 deductible (which I do not feel I should be responsible to pay). We will see how that goes, as it's pretty clear Coralife is responsible here, as we never touched or modified the glass etc., and it's 3 weeks old...

Beware as after doing some research, this seems to happen TOO frequently. It won't let me post a video of the leak, so here is a link: https://imgur.com/a/cVJaV99

Crack.jpg

couch.jpg

OP
OP
Wunderpus

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going to be a nightmare, not fun at all to lose some animals and now be thousands in the hole... Hopefully, they step up and can make this right.

OP
OP
Wunderpus

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32 as well. I have never heard of this happening before. Hopefully they replace the tank at a minimum. Crappy way to start the morning.
Sure was! We were sitting next to it when it happened! So far, they are sending a new tank however they will not comment on handling all the other costs/damages (thousands of dollars between live stock, live rock, the couch, etc.)....

They are a multi-billion dollar company, they can afford to make this right. They want receipts for all the corals, fish etc. which is relatively difficult to gather as I'm sure you can imagine, plus all coral has different value... No two are identical in pricing.

Norman's_Tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I had a Nuvo37 and this exact thing happened to me on the night after Thanksgiving! I had to go get a tank the next day and what did I get....a Biocube32 Now I feel safe :(

OP
OP
Wunderpus

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I had a Nuvo37 and this exact thing happened to me on the night after Thanksgiving! I had to go get a tank the next day and what did I get....a Biocube32 Now I feel safe :(
I hope I'm just one in a million! I'm glad I was home when it happened, could've been traveling etc... Either way, still working with Coralife on a resolution here, but they've been pretty responsive thus far.

OP
OP
Wunderpus

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.

I'm so sorry this happened to you and the critters.
Honestly, that was the heartbreaking part as we were helpless at 12am...

*Update* Coralife has sent over a contract with an amount that would cover the damages and loss in agreement that I do not pursue further action. This is better for me, as I'd owe $1,000 in deductible to my insurance, and it would take likely years for them to fight a large public group. Also, better for them as they don't want to have to pay their counsel and have this negative mark on the company. So far, impress by Coralife/ Central Pet for their business dealings.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

*Update* Coralife has sent over a contract with an amount that would cover the damages and loss in agreement that I do not pursue further action. This is better for me, as I'd owe $1,000 in deductible to my insurance, and it would take likely years for them to fight a large public group. Also, better for them as they don't want to have to pay their counsel and have this negative mark on the company. So far, impress by Coralife/ Central Pet for their business dealings.

I'm glad the outcome is going to somewhat amicable.

I feel your pain. Honestly, I do. The second acrylic tank (45g cube) I made from scratch broke one of the seams while I was asleep one night. although my fishes did stay alive in ~2 inches of remaining water and it was all my fault because I missed small section near the top and it gave out extending to the bottom 3 inches of the tank. It was a mess and a well-learned lesson.

OP
OP
Wunderpus

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad the outcome is going to somewhat amicable.

I feel your pain. Honestly, I do. The second acrylic tank (45g cube) I made from scratch broke one of the seams while I was asleep one night. although my fishes did stay alive in ~2 inches of remaining water and it was all my fault because I missed small section near the top and it gave out extending to the bottom 3 inches of the tank. It was a mess and a well-learned lesson.
Crazy! However, it does make sense to have it burst at the seam, as that's what I'd expect. It was WILD how it split down the side.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sucks, and sorry for the losses. I am glad to see that Coralife has been very responsive, sending a new tank, and seems to be taking care of the damages. Best of luck with the whole ordeal.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so sorry. But I’m glad Coralife stepped up. I too have a 32 Biocube that I bought used. It’s been fine, thank goodness. I’m getting ready to dismantle it and merge it’s contents into a larger tank. I’m gonna keep it though so I’ll have a hospital/qt. Or for emergencies... which I pray I won’t have.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy! However, it does make sense to have it burst at the seam, as that's what I'd expect. It was WILD how it split down the side.

Agreed...had a 29g BioCube (empty) moving it from one home to another a block away (ULTRA carefully) burst in my hands with an ER bill for lots of nice stitches ~14 years ago and got nada when I contacted (then Oceanic) :eek:

Gratefyl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know this is an old thread but curious what happened w this. We have the 32 biocube and this just happened to us today. NIGHTMARE.

OP
OP
Wunderpus

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread but curious what happened w this. We have the 32 biocube and this just happened to us today. NIGHTMARE.
They refunded me the cost of the biocube as well as the costs for the damages (furniture, flooring, dry wall and livestock). I had to give them receipts and pictures of everything.... But, they ended up being really cool about it. I do think it HELPED my case that I posted about it on every platform possible, seemed to catch their attention.... I'm sorry you're going through this, it was a genuine nightmare.

Gratefyl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They refunded me the cost of the biocube as well as the costs for the damages (furniture, flooring, dry wall and livestock). I had to give them receipts and pictures of everything.... But, they ended up being really cool about it. I do think it HELPED my case that I posted about it on every platform possible, seemed to catch their attention.... I'm sorry you're going through this, it was a genuine nightmare.
Thank you. Luckily I was home and we have another tank so hoping there isn't permanent damage to our floors and we didn't lose any livestock as we have a large tank I put them back into. I email them but will give them a call today. Thanks for responding!

doh_nutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome that you were able to come to a conclusion to that nightmare.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Luckily I was home and we have another tank so hoping there isn't permanent damage to our floors and we didn't lose any livestock as we have a large tank I put them back into. I email them but will give them a call today. Thanks for responding!
They have literaly the best customer service. This happened to me a few months ago. I can say with certainty if the stand isn’t level then that’s your problem. People have run these tanks for years and never had one crack. I think it makes a difference where you order from too. I got my new one directly from them and it was packaged much better and arrived in a much better manner than the one from Amazon.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back